Part One

August 13, Switzerland.

"And the world will definitely be a better place without me," his lips turn upwards, and my mind drifts to the probability that I will never come in contact with his lips again.

A lump forms in my throat, and I bury my face in his chest, my tears wetting his shirt.

"No, no it won't," I murmur into his chest, my voice slightly muffled by the fabric of his shirt.

"I need to see that face," he says on the verge of breaking, and I can't help but think that will be one of the last things that he ever says to me.

"I can't," I squeak out, choking back tears.

"I need...to see that face of yours," he repeats, and it takes all the strength that I can muster for me to look back at him.

Our lines of vision cross- briefly, and in those brief seconds I know that I do not want to lose Will Traynor.

I can't lose Will Traynor.

The words I had been dreading exit his mouth.

"Call my parents in."

I take his hand, wanting to savor the feeling...

I do not want to retrieve Will's parents.

I want to kidnap him and take him to Rio.

He squeezes my hand so hard- I

Will cannot squeeze my hand. His nerves are...

"Will."

"Call my parents in, Louisa," he says, firm, this time, his jaw clenched. His eyes avoiding contact, instead gazing at the tiled ceiling.

"Is it possible for you to be squeezing my hand?"

"It's not," he says quickly, looking down.

I realize his fingers, all of them except his pinky and middle finger, are wrapped around mine.

"We are talking about complete loss of the legs and arms, and very little use of the hands."

Will cannot squeeze my hand.
"So then, why, is it?"

At this point, Will's mother and father enter the room.

"Will?" Camilla questions.

My head pops up, staring into her eyes, then motioning down at Will's hand, which is still intertwined with mine.

And that's when they both notice.

And that's when they act.

...

Will was not lenient.

Will refused to speak.

But Will cannot run away. So Mrs.Traynor was able to drag him to a hospital.

She was searching for some reason, any reason, to get him out of Dignitas.