Part Four

"You are?" Alicia asks in disbelief, almost choking on her water. She puts the glass down and taps her chest a few times, coughing.

But it's not convincing enough, as it's apparent that Will's outburst has caused her some sort of discomfort, or, rather, shock.

"Yes, I thought Louisa would have told you two. She did mention she had run into you at the market. Why didn't you tell her, dear?" murmurs Will, shaking his like at me like I'm a foolish girl.

"I... I guess it just didn't come up," I reply, unsure of what Will's getting at.

Usually, I understand Will's sense of humor enough to muster up a couple of laughs, but now I'm left confused.

What wedding? A silly question, at best. There was no wedding nor would there ever be a wedding.

The topic of weddings in general could've been left undiscussed, especially considering what an experience it was the last wedding I'd been to.

"When did you get engaged?" asks Rupert. His eyebrows are arched upward, an action that would seem skeptical. It is, surely, a skeptical gesture.

He grabs a roll and spreads a light coat of butter on its surface. Even at times like this, Rupert finds the time to butter his rolls.

"A month ago," Will smiles at Rupert.

"Where?" His response is instantaneous.

"A swamp," I stumble, figuring there's ought to be a reason Will decided to conjure this story.

Swamp? A swamp?

"Paris," says Will at the exact same moment.

"A swamp in Paris," I explain.

"Are there swamps in Paris?" Alicia turns to Rupert.

"Tons. You walk about three feet and there's a swamp, just.... sitting there, all swamp like," I say, adding details to the swamp tale.

The more details the more believable the story is, am I right or am I right?

Will shoots me a look and I pipe down.

"It was remarkable, really.... A private jet. Six star hotel. All accompanied by a candlelit dinner by the, uh, swamp," Will says, biting his lip.

"Six star hotel?" Alicia asks.

"Stuff or dreams," Will responds, closing his eyes.

"Anyway, we've greatly enjoyed this dinner you guys made but we've got to be going," Will says abruptly.

"You guys can't stay for dessert? We made rice pudding." Alicia frowns.

"No, I think we need to get back. But thank you. Really thank you."

I stand up, and push my chair in. Maybe once we get out of here I can ask Will about his marriage antics.

After hugging Alicia and Rupert goodbye, I exit the house.

The door shuts, and I'm greeted by the cool night air as I help Will to put on his own coat.

Poor Alicia, I think to myself. Pregnant, and probably in the next few years, alone.

Once she discovers Rupert's snagging his secretary, of course.