Chapter 17: "The engagement reception"

Archie arrive with Albert and Patricia. Archie had a fake smile while greeting the fiancés. He had felt a chill between them.

Eliza and her parents arrived among the last ones. Terry and Annie were not at the door anymore. They were among the guests, separately. Patricia and Albert were asking themselves what was going on. Terry and Annie had been inseparable ever since their engagement. Now on their engagement party, they were avoiding each other.

Annie was spending her time with old acquaintances from Chicago without a look for Terry. He was talking to young men who were asking him questions about the theatre and Broadway.

The parents were happy talking to their friends who were amazed to see the great Eleonor Baker.

Archie approached Annie who alone at one point. Terry was talking to some young women.

- So, he said, you're going to marry him? He only wants to sleep with you, you know that... when he would get tired of you, he's going to dump you...

- Archie, you came to our engagement party... not to bother me with your mean reflections...

- Oh, sounds like I hit a nerve... is there trouble in paradise?

Annie looked at Terry talking to a girl.

- That's none of your business! Said walking away

Archie let her go and he approached Eliza who was sulking. The stable girl, had had Terry, now her insipid sister had managed to grab Terry!

- Hi Eliza, are you having fun? Said Archie.

- When I see Terry with that insipid Annie? Are you kidding me?

- Don't tell me you're still pining over that third class actor?

- Do I question your penchant for young orphan girls? It seems like Terry and you have the same insipid taste!

- I'm wondering what you're doing here...

- I didn't want to come, believe me, but curiosity got the best of me... I wanted to see with my eyes and maybe understand what Terry had found in her... but nothing! She still dull and boring...

- That's what you're seeing... I'm seeing an independent woman, strong, who is building her own business and who lives from the fruits of her labour... I have to admit that I've never found her more attractive... Unfortunately, she got hooked on Grandchester...

- Oh stop it! You're going to make me cry! Well he seems kind of distant from her tonight. I haven't seen them together once!