☀️Juniper: 8

"Was that the first time he ever hit you?" Detective Rhodes questions.

I nod.

"Dammit!" Leo punches his fist against a wall.

"Leo!" I scream at the same time Rhodes ask for him to calm down. "What is wrong with you?"

"You asked me to come to that party, but I refused because it wasn't my scene. I should've been there, I promised you I would always be there." He tells me, and walks out of the officers home.

"Detective can I-?" I inch towards the door to follow Leo.

She nods. "Go."

I didn't go to school the next day after the police station.. I called Rhodes and asked if I could talk to her. I couldn't go to school, and bear to see Adam and look at his smug face knowing that he got away with it again. And I couldn't face James, knowing what he's been through, and take my life for granted right in front of his face knowing what happened to his mother.

I see Leo sitting in Rhodes driveway with his face in between is knees, like a sad puppy with its tail between it's legs.

"Leo, it's not your fault."

"How could you say that? I promised you that-"

I take his chin in my hand, and turn it towards me. "You couldn't have known. Hell, if I knew do you think I would have gone to that party?"

He scoffs. "Hell no."

"Exactly, you can't predict the future and neither can I. But we can try and change it, together. Now will you come back inside?" My hand slides off his face, and into my jean pocket.

"Only if you beg." Leo smirks at me.

I glare at him. "Only if you beg." I retort.

He throws his head back and laughs. "That doesn't make any sense."

"That doesn't make any sense." I mock him in a childish tone.

I help him off the sidewalk, and we walk back into Rhodes house together. I knew the only way I could talk to Rhodes is if someone was there with me. And who better than Leo? I couldn't tell my parents because they don't know. And besides them and Leo, I don't have anyone else.

We walk back into the detective's house, and sit down on her couch.

"Now that that's settled. Do you have any witnesses to your abuse?"

I shrug. "I guess, some people at the hospital can vouch for my injuries. Also uh, James."

"James? The boy fighting with Adam yesterday?" She questions.

Leo also gives me a look.

"Yeah, him. The reason they were fighting yesterday is because of me. I think, or maybe it was the abuse I was getting from Adam. But I'm pretty sure James has witnessed it."

"Do you think he would testify?" Leo ask me.

"Woah! Slow your roll? Testify? I don't think I want to go to court." I immediately start to panic.

Rhodes sighs. "It's the only way for Adam to go away, and he's eighteen so he can be charged as an adult."

"But then everyone will know. My parents! The school! His dad! His mother! Oh god."

"I know you're scared, but if we let Adam continue he could end up doing worse to you or somebody else." Rhodes tells me.

Leo rubs my back. "Don't worry Juny, it's going to be okay."