Ch. 2

The much anticipated first day of school arrived.

I wore my best outfit, a white button-up and my nicest pair of blue jeans. I convinced my mom to let me wear my dark brown boat shoes, which she usually only let me wear on very special occasions.

But to me, this was a special occasion.

It was the start of my new life.

I kissed my mom goodbye and drove to school. Upon arriving, I immediately took notice of how everyone was in their respective clique.

I didn't think that type of thing was real, that it only happened in the movies. But I was wrong. There were trashy girls all in a group, geeky guys in another, emos, stoners, and athletes all in their cliques.

I soon found out that my friend Isabelle was part of the most intimidating clique of all: the popular kids.

But she seemed so down-to-earth, and kind. Surely she didn't interact with such uppity, self-absorbed pricks.

Unfortunately, those were her closest friends.

I put some things in my locker, and kept the rest of my supplies in my backpack. Just as I was about to leave for first period, I heard my name being called from behind me.

I whipped around to see the blonde beauty from the park bench.

"Hey!"

"Hey," I smiled.

"Your hair looks nice," she complimented.

I took that to heart; I spent extra time on my hair that morning. "Thanks," I blushed. I hated how easy it was for that to happen around her.

"How are you?"

"Excited. Nervous."

"Don't be nervous, it's just a bunch of 18-year-olds like you and me."

I chuckled. "You're right."

She smiled that same smile. "You know, if you need any help or anything, I could show you around."

"Actually, I would really appreciate that."

"Cool. Let's go, then!"

I was upset to see that I didn't have any classes with Isabelle so far.

Lunch was right after fourth period, so we walked there together. She had her own lunch and I had mine, so when we got inside I went to go eat alone.

"Where are you going?"

"To eat," I chuckled.

She looked serious. "Alone?"

"It's okay, I don't want to intrude on your friends."

She just looked at me, brows drawn together in concern.

"Really, I'm fine," I said, offering a small smile.

"Are you sure?"

"Come on, I'm a big boy."

She giggled. "Okay... I'll see you later, though."

"Of course."

She gave me one last look over her shoulder before joining her popular friends at the rectangular table.