Part 1

I can hear it. The rain. It sounds like a steak sizzling as it slowly cooks on a grill. The cars, as they pass through puddles sound like a wave hitting the shoreline of a beach. The gentle humming of the bulbs in my room as they fill the room with light.

Have you ever wondered what life would be like if you weren’t able to see? I never did until a cold December day while I was traveling to my parents house for the holidays.

I had just gotten off school and was driving in my old beat-up jeep. It was around 1:30 a.m. so there weren’t any cars out on the roads. I had the radio turned up trying to stay awake. It seemed so safe and calm, but that’s when it happened.

It was so sudden. The car began to spin out of control. I was panicking and desperately searching for the cause. I couldn’t see anything until I saw the glistening of the ice.

Black ice. So hidden against the black of the road I hadn’t seen it. I panicked even more.  What could I do to stop the car from hitting the guard rail and flipping?

I grabbed the wheel and attempted to straighten. Using all the strength I could muster I pulled the ca forward and straight.  The bright headlights were only a few feet away from me and I had nothing I could do. I stared into the lights then everything went black.