Hopeless, and Hopefull

Ch. 10

The night of Chrissy’s outbreak, I laid on my back in my bunk, staring up at the sky I had drawn on the ceiling. The blue wax marks zig-zagged in fractured lines, and the neon sun stared down at me like the blob of color that it was. Tracing the sun with my index finger, I reviewed the craziness that had happened at lunch.

It was horrible how tortured Chrissy was acting. It was as if the Voice had completely ruined her whole composure. It must have been an extremely awful to experience to make her feel that way. You’d almost think that she got the idea of escaping from the Voice.

Her idea was original though, no matter how crazy. There was no doubt about that.  She was planning to run away, and it probably would kill her, one way or another. She’d either die trying, or die broken. I didn’t think that any of us wanted either scenario to happen.

I’d have to find out as much as possible about her plans. Maybe I could stop her from leaving, and save her life. I wasn’t going to loose my twin sister that easily.

I let myself slowly drift off to sleep, my mind spinning with scenes of Chrissy dashing through the main doors, ending up as a small pile of ashes between the door frames. 

In the morning, I dragged myself out of bed and convinced myself to check on Chrissy. I didn’t expect her to want to get out of bed after yesterday.

I banged on her door for a few minutes, listening to her mumble a few things.

“You’re not going to die, Chrissy,” I called back. “You’ll adjust. How do you ever survive anything?”

“I’m gone. I’m gone forever. Missing Chrissy. Dead.” She muttered. She sounded really tired.

In fact, she didn’t even sound like Chrissy. “You’re fine, Chrissy. Come on out, there’s a new, fresh day.”

“I’m sorry!”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about, Chrissy. Just come on!”'

And so it continued for about ten minutes, until I heard a loud thump and an exclamation of pain.

“Chrissy, are you okay in there?”

She pulled herself out of her bunk, and explained to me that I had just woke her up. She’d been sleep-talking. I didn’t know whether to be relieved, or worried.

Starting back out of the bunk tunnel, I told her that she’d been asleep for 10 minutes at least while I’ve had conversations with her sleeping, dead-to-the-world brain. I told her that she had about five minutes to get ready before classes started. Groaning good-naturally, she headed down to the bathrooms to change and get ready.

While I was waiting for her I saw Lily approaching me.

“Hey, Kyte!”

“Hi Lily. How are you?”

“I’m fine. I’m just really annoyed at Chrissy still, though. How can she be such a hothead, worrying about no one and nothing but herself?”

I shrugged. “She came from somewhere else. She probably didn’t have that much time to care about others where ever she was.” I didn’t mention that she probably didn’t remember others and how to interact with them.

“Right. She’s the precious, innocent Fielder. Nothing’s her fault cause she didn’t know better. She was just trying to tear up our world, you know that. Our lives and dreams don’t mean much to her.”

“She was just trying to show her own hopes and dreams. She is new here, and doesn’t have any roots herself yet.”

“Do you seriously want to side with that mess?”