Chapter Seven

I knew that I shouldn't let Heather bother me, but it was bothering me. Announcements were being made and posters were beginning to be put up for the play. I was beginning to be bitter over everything. My group tried to be nice and not discuss anything about the play in front of me, but it just made me feel worse.

We sat at our table during lunch, and I was stabbing a cup of peaches when Adrian noticed, "Nathan, that's not a Caesar salad. You don't need to stab it."

I released a breath of air and set the fork down. My hands were clenched into fists again, but I felt someone put their hand over mine. I turned to see Emily trying to calm me down. Her hands were soft and gentle, and she gave a small smile. I relaxed a bit. For some reason, Emily has been able to calm me down quickly. She reassured me not to let anyone get to me.

"Hey, you guys," I heard a high pitched voice say, and all my rage came back.

I turned, "What do you want Heather?"

She feigned innocence, "I just wanted to stop by to say 'good luck' on your play. Not that it concerns you anymore."

"Hey Heather, shouldn't you be making sure your boyfriend isn't flirting with your best friend over there?" Persephone looked behind Heather.

We all followed her gaze and saw Zack across the yard whispering into a girl's ear. She was giggling and he talked.

Heather grumbled and turned around to walk away.

"And take those lipstick smudges off of your teeth!" Alina called out, while Persephone fist bumped her.

I smiled at them and my mood immediately improved, "I can always count on you guys for a good roast."

...

It was March now, so that meant the play was one month away. My friends were all starting to stress over their parts, and Ms. Rhea was pushing them hard. Since, I was kicked out of the play I went straight home after school. I was still upset, but I've been learning to get over it. It's kinda hard to do that though when your room is filled with Broadway shows and musicals.

I was moping around while trying to do some statistics homework when I got a text message.

"Emergency." It was from Adrian.

I typed worried, "What's wrong?"

"Emily broke her wrist. A prop fell and she landed on her wrist."

My heart beat fast, "Is she okay? Where is she?"

"Her parents picked her up and brought her to the hospital. She's okay, but it hurts a lot, dude."

"Was Heather there? Did she do this?" I typed angrily.

"No, dude. Hassan checked her instagram, she's out with Zack. It wasn't her."

I breathed heavily and my mind was filled with thoughts of Emily. I just hope she's okay.

"I'll text Emily later then. Thanks, dude." I shut off my phone.

...

The next day, Emily didn't go to school because of her wrist. I texted her last night and she told me she just wanted one day to rest from the hospital. I sat at my table and looked around for Heather. When I saw her stroll through the doors, I immediately stood up and walked towards her.

"Can I talk to you? Alone." I said emotionless.

She stared back for a minute then opened her mouth, "I didn't hurt Emily."

"And why should I believe that?"

"Because I blackmail people. I don't injure them. It's too messy." She stated.

"You're insane."

"Thank you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have lunch to eat." She walked past me.

As much as I hate to admit, Heather was telling the truth. She wasn't one to actually hurt someone, but to just ruin their lives from behind a laptop screen.

...

I drove to Emily's house the next day after school to try to see if she was okay. She missed school for an extra day, and when I went to visit, her dad told me that she was tired and didn't feel like hanging out.

When I hit the front steps, I rang the doorbell and waited patiently. To my surprise, Emily's mom opened the door. Most of the time, her dad opens the door since he works night shifts. I just recently found out that Emily's dad worked at M.O., a popular night club, while her mom owned Ambrosia, a local coffee shop.

"Hi Mrs. Torres, I'm Nathan Miller," I stuck out my hand for her to shake it.

She took my hand, "Hello Nathan, Emily is upstairs. It's a good thing you came, I think she could use some cheering up."

"Oh, why's that?" I questioned as she gestured me to come inside.

"Well she says she's in a lot of pain," Mrs. Torres explained.

"That's understandable," I admitted.

"Well then, you two have fun," I was just about to take a step when she spoke again, "Oh, also Nathan, both feet on the ground please."

At this point, I wasn't even phased, "Of course, Mrs. Torres."

She smiled and nodded to let me go up the stairs.