The Test

Jade sat in her room in the dark. The lighting outside was the only source of light she had. The rain drops that hit her window was the only sound in the room. Jade extended her stay in England for another week, telling Xavier that he can leave and handle business back in Boston. He didn't question her much and by now Xavier was already back home while Jade sat on the bed looking at the table in front of her.

She wasn't looking at the table, but what was on the table. What could be so interesting? Well the item on the table wasn't just interesting but the item made Jade's thoughts mix up and become confusing.

What was on the table then?

The answer is simple: a water bottle.

But it wasn't just any water bottle, no, it was Fabian's water bottle. The one he took a small sip from. The one that will give Jade the answer she's been looking for; she was going to test it to see whether or not Fabian is her son. 

Was it a long shot? Maybe. 

Maybe it was the way Fabian looked or the way he acted that made Jade see similarities between them. Maybe the fact that Fabian read about mechanics reminded Jade of when she was his age and read books on law. Maybe it was the fact that when Fabian did mental math and told her the answer without doubting himself it reminded Jade of how she would solve math problems and never got one wrong. Or maybe it was the fact that his charm, kindness, and humility reminded Jade of Alex.

Whatever it was, Jade knew that she couldn't leave with all these questions left unanswered. After all she was a lawyer and had a need to answer these questions, find some type of explanation.

Was Jade crazy? Well in the eyes of other people she might seem crazy, but in the eyes of a lawyer, she's simply trying to find logical explanations to what's happening. Since we're in Jade's world, the answer to that question is no, she's not crazy. 

She sat there thinking about what would happen if the results came back negative. She had a list of pros and cons if this happened.

On the bright side if Fabian wasn't Jade's son, then the strange feeling that Jade felt would disappear. She would stop thinking about the little boy, she would stop asking herself questions, she would have peace at mind. Except what would end up bothering her would be the fact that she made the boy a promise that she would be back. Jade is a woman of her word and although her promise doesn't mean a lot to people, it meant a lot to the little boy.

But that promise she made to him about coming back, had a bigger meaning to Jade. If Fabian was her son, then the promise she made would mean stability, safety, and love. She would make sure that her son had that and more. She would happily give these things to Fabian, but she knew that giving these things would take a lot of work.

Jade also realized that if Fabian was her son, what would she tell her family about him? How is she going to tell them that she has a son? A son that she never knew about, a son that was left in an orphanage in England.

But what bothered Jade even more is how would Fabian react. She knew that he was young but he had a very advanced mind and would surely ask questions. Jade didn't want Fabian to think that she left him, that she didn't want him, that she didn't care about him. Jade didn't want for Fabian to think this but it's not like Jade was going to blame Alex. It is her fault that he's in an orphanage but Jade was not about to trash Alex.

Jade sat there in the same position as before but this time looked over at the window watching the rain drops glide downward. Tomorrow she will find out the truth so all she could do for now is wait.

***

"Do you have it?" Jade asked.

"Yes. Here they are. If you need anything else just give me a call." The man said and left.

Jade entered her room and put the letter next to her. She didn't open it immediately which built suspense. She finally grabbed the letter and opened it, took out the letter and unfolded it.

"99.9% positive." She whispered to herself. Fabian was her son which meant that for four years Alex lied to her and took away Jade's chance of having a family.

Jade went crazy at this realization and began throwing things, smashing, breaking items. She broke the mirror, flipped the chairs. She was furious of what Alex did. Jade's mind was clouded and couldn't think straight, by the end of the night the room was destroyed and Jade was a mess.