siebenzehn

Zofía

I blankly stare at the cheesecake that was made to serve 3-5 people but was now three-quarters of the way eaten.
The wine bottle's content had dwindled to half way. Both delectable items are sitting on a breakfast tray, settled on the pristine white duvet of my enormous bed.

Eyeing my phone, contemplating whether or not to call the blond German, I reach towards the silver device out of impulse. I unlock it and dial his number. A while passes, as my finger hovers over the dial button.

I press it.

My heart is thumping with every ring until he answers on the third ring.

"Zofía, I am so sorry."

"I-I don't know why I called." I slur, as my hands start to tremble, as I quickly hang up on him. "I really thought that I loved you. It was a spur of the moment thing, you know. I do love you, Bastian. The amount of pain you've caused me is unbearable. I opened myself up to you, and this is how you treat me. I don't know how to feel, Bastian. You made me love, I loved you, love you. Goodbye." I quickly disconnect the line and set the phone down next to me.

"Damn it!" I yell out to no one, as I plop my head onto my silk pillow.

The following morning

*********************************

"Zofía! Zof, love, please!" His voice echoes through the oak door, as he bangs on it.

"Zofía, I love you Zofía! I would never do anything to hurt you. Please just understand... I love you." He whispers the last part, sending shivers up my spine, as I sit against the door, my knees pressed tightly against my chest. 

"Bastian."

"Love, talk to me. Please, just talk to me."

"I have to get to the hospital, and you're blocking my door." 

"Zof, please." I hear him sit down, on the other side.

"What do you want me to say, Bastian?" I  whisper loud enough for him to hear. "You hurt me. This is what I feared would happen all along. I'd let you know my deepest secrets... and then you'd... you would... betray me." 

"Please understand, my love, I would never ever  try to hurt you. I love you so much. I love you so much, words cannot explain how deep my love is for you. You are the love of my life, only you, meine Liebe."  

"God, Bastian." I let out a dry chuckle. "I never realized how much-" I stand up and pull the door open, revealing the handsome German. "I never realized how much I love you." I sigh. 

He's clad in a crisp white button up, rolled up at his elbows, along with grey trousers. 

"Oh, Zofía." His smile reaches his verdant eyes, as he steps up to me. His eyes capture my own honey brown ones, and for a moment, I swear, I couldn't breathe. And finally, by the time I remembered how to breathe, his lips had captured my own. Our lips moved in perfect sync, as his hands found their way to my hips, pulling me close to him. "Marry me." 

"W-what?" I pull away from him, my eyes growing wide in confusion. 

"Marry me, Zofía. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"You're talking out of pure impulse, Bastian. Stop being ridiculous."

"I'm not, Liebe." He places his hands on my shoulders, gripping me tight. "I want you to marry me. Marry me, Zof." 

"You're such a hopeless romantic, Bastian." 

"Yes! I am! I am hopelessly in love with you, Zofía."

"Give me some time to think about it, Bastian. Time is all I need. I'm not ready for commitment."

"For you, I'd wait a thousand years."

"Okay, lover boy." I laugh, as he pulls me into a tight hug. "I need to go save some lives now." My words are muffled, as he squeezes me tightly, restricting my air flow. 

Releasing me from his tight grasp, he then takes a hold of my face, cupping my cheeks, his green eyes staring into my soul. 

"I love you so much. So, so, so much. You're the love of my life, Zof." He presses his lips on my own. 

"I love you too, Bastian. But seriously, if you don't let me go, some small human is most likely going to die." 

"Oh, yes right." He lets go of me, as his eyes suddenly grow wide. "I need to buy you a ring!"

"You do that, Bastian." I chuckle. "Let's go." 

We walk down the hall, to the elevator, as Bastian is making plans. 

"Where do you want to get married?"

"I haven't  agreed to anything yet, Bastian."

"Yes, I know, but just answer the question." He urges, as we step into the elevator and head down to the lobby. 

"Um... I don't know. I've never thought about getting married. And I told you, I need some time." 

"Alright, how many carats? For the ring? I was thinking 2.5. "

"Bastian, stop. Please." We step out of the elevator, and into the lobby of the luxury apartment complex. 

"Es tut mir Leid." I'm sorry. 

"Es ist in Ordnung."  I reply in my broken German. 

**************

Author's note on next chapter 

Eleanor xxx