The Reaping

My name is Sebastian Hart. I am 17 years old and I am from district 6. I have dirty blonde hair and green eyes. My mother and father died in a car accident when I was only 9 years old. Ever since I lost my parents, I had to take care of myself. I went to work at a restaurant doing anything and everything. My aunt would send me a little food or money from time to time, but other than that, I provided for myself.

Enough about my past, lets focus on the present. Today is the day of the reaping. I put on my best clothes that I save for this one day of the year. I reluctantly leave my house and join the crowd moving towards the stage where the reaping will take place. Just another boring day in another boring year.

I finally reach the stage right when the reaping is getting started. This year there is a new announcer. It is a guy that looks sort of similar to me, but with a dead look in his eyes. I tune him out as the reaping gets started. First he chooses some girl that I have seen around, I just don't personally know her. Next he chooses the male tribute for this year. I don't hear the name but I look around and find the boy that was chosen. He is no older than 10 years old. He has multiple siblings and parents.

The next thing I know I speak up. "I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" All eyes are on me as I make my way up to the stage. There is absolutely nothing going through my head except that I might be able to see my parents again soon.

As I hear the announcer say "may the odds be ever in your favor", the realization of what I just did hit me. I just commited suicide by volunteering. My parents wouldn't want this. I don't want this. What did I just do?