Dear Sammy,

It's been awhile. You're funeral was yesterday, and difficult. Both your parents were heartbroken, they couldn't speak to anyone. I did the eulogy, I hope you liked it.

George was there, he looked completely empty. He didn't talk to your parents, but he did talk to me. He told me he was so sorry for ignoring the both of us, and that you had never done anything wrong – it was your father. He wouldn't tell me what he'd done though, he said he hoped you knew though.

He kept telling me he was sorry. He said he held it against you for signing up, because he thought you signed up because of your father. I told him that wasn't true, sure I know your dad gave you the idea, because he was in the Army but that it was totally your choice.

Of course, none of my family turned up, but I wouldn't expect them to.

You will be pleased to know Seb helped carry you, and he's staying with me and Shep for the next week. Shep wasn't very friendly to Seb when he arrived, I suppose he is angry that he didn't bring you with him.

It's been really difficult to explain to Jack where you are, Gen was at the funeral, but she didn't think Jack was old enough. I agree with her, but I'll bring him to see you soon – I promise. I know you loved him as if he was yours, I don't think I'll ever understand why his dad left, but we never knew him so I suppose that's why. I'm glad we moved here in time to help Gen out.

I hope you're at peace...

I love you, right to the stars

Megs xxx