23. the Charity Gala

A week later, school was back in session and all was well. Sarah confronted Jack and they worked out their issues and parted as friends. Sure, it will be awkward for a while, but I'm sure soon the group will be back to normal. 

Jack told Spot, and of course, Spot was supportive due to the fact he had known for a while. I'm still not completely sure how, but who knows what goes on in that boy's brain. 

"I mean, at first, he was just that bothersome ex that I occasionally saw on campus," Grace went on. "But then, he vowed to me he would be back for more, and boy did he deliver,"

"So, are you official?" I ask, sipping my mocha. 

She grins and shows me her finger. 

"Woah, I didn't mean that official," I bring her finger closer. 

"No, silly, it's a promise ring," 

"Oh, how nice," 

Just then, my phone buzzed. 

Spot: when you're done with that, come to my table 

I look around the cafe, my eyes landing on Spot sitting by the window, looking at me. I nod once and turn back to Grace. 

"He looks like he has something to say," She is glancing at Spot. "Let me know how that goes. I'm gonna go find out what the man of the hour is up to," 

"Bye," I throw my mocha away and walk to Spot's table, giving him a questioning look. 

"Well go on, sit," 

I sit across from him and he has an unreadable expression. 

"If you can look back through your genius mind, you'll recall I told you that my mother has an annual charity gala," 

I squint my eyes. "Yes, I recall," 

"Well, the good news is that she thinks you are a 'lovely young woman'," 

"And the bad news?" 

"She wants me to bring you as my date to her charity gala," He sighs. 

"Me? A charity gala? That's a joke, right?" 

He looks at me with an annoyed expression. 

"Not a joke?" 

"No, Miss Anna," He mocks. 

"Why," I whine. "There's gonna be rich people talking about rich things with other rich people," 

"Just brag about where you wintered and you'll be all set conversation-wise," He says. "Other than socializing, you can be your own poor self with me," 

"My lucky night," I groan. "When is it?" 

"Tomorrow night, I'll pick you up at 6," 

"What do I wear this time, Mr. Thomas?" 

"A long dress," He says. "Ask Grace, she went last year," 

"Ugh," 

<>

"A long dress, I have just the thing," Grace says. "I got it for prom last year but I never wore it because it didn't fit right," 

She pulls out a long, blush colored dress with beautiful detail. 

"Wow, Grace, this is gorgeous," 

"Put it on so I can do your hair," 

"I'm not sure if I can take this--"