35. Heartbreak

The next couple days, Spot and Alice didn't speak a word to each other. When Grace and Sarah came back into school, they spent hours consoling her. 

"He's a dick sometimes," Grace was so mad at Spot. 

"Amen," 

"I wish I could say that's not Spot, but it really is."

"That makes me feel so much better, Grace." Alice's face was buried into a pillow. 

Sarah gave a 'really?' look to Grace who just threw up her hands. 

They even tried having a Fixer Upper marathon to cheer her up, but all she did was mope and say, 'Chip wouldn't lie to Jo'. 

Finally, he talked to her. 

He went to her dorm room, chocolate in his hand. He cursed Race for telling him to bring some. He seemed so pathetic. She answered, and even though it looked like a homeless person, she still was so beautiful.

"Listen, I'm really sorry for lying," He said. "It was stupid of me to take advantage of you like that, and I hope you can forgive me," 

"Thank you for the apology," Was all she said about it. 

Later that day, she decided to get out of her dorm room and go to the cafe to get some studying done. 

On her way out, she ran into someone she didn't recognize. 

"I'm so sorry," 

"Fault's all mine," He said smoothly. "Listen, I'm touring this place and it's been a while, could you tell me where the gym is?" 

"Trust me, I couldn't find it either--back behind the Center Building there's a path leading to it,"

"Thank you..." He trailed off. 

"Alice," 

"Lucas." He shook her hand. 

"Nice to meet you," 

"You as well, I better get going so I don't get lost. Thanks again," 

She watched him walk away, her phone ringing in her pocket. 

Spot. 

She hesitantly answered. 

"Hello?"

"Hey,"

"Hey."

"Can I take you to dinner tonight?" 

"It's a school day,"

"I know, but I want to talk." 

"Okay,"

"Pick you up at six?"

"Sure," She hung up. 

Alice walked back to her dorm, informing Sarah of the situation. 

"You can borrow something of mine if you want,"

"You're the best, Sar." 

"So I've been told," 

She laughed as she changed her clothes. She wasn't sure how the night would go, but she was open-minded. 

Though Spot's behavior was unacceptable, she knew it stemmed from the bigger problems in his life. Everyone deserved a second chance, she thought. 

So, when he told her she looked nice, she smiled. 

"Where are you taking me?" He opened his mouth, and she cut him off: "And don't say 'it's a surprise,"

"A little restaurant just close by,"