An Unwanted Suspect

Sebastian woke up the next morning, feeling something wet on his face. He reached his hand up and brought it away. It was... Saliva? "EW!" Jim was standing over him, and that liquid dripped from his fingertips. At a closer inspection, it wasn't spit at all. Sirens wailed outside, and police were talking loudly to the other kids. See, little Susie'd been found dead as well- eyes scratched out. "Sorry, dear. Did I wake you?" Sebastian got a closer look at the liquid. It was deep red. Sebastian shivered and sat up, the blood dripping down his face. "Jim? Why... Why am I covered in blood?"

"I like watching you when you're asleep. It's so peaceful. Endearing." Jim wiped his fingers on his trousers, but the crimson disappeared once it was on the fabric. Sebastian, however, was covered in blood. The police burst into the room and saw Sebastian. They immediately counted him as a suspect. Jim took his coat off Sebastian with a small smile. He'd have to frame someone. He disappeared, going out and murdering someone. He put him in the attic, then put a little girl's barrette and some hairs from her brush scattered. It didn't take long for the blood to seep through the ceiling, directly over Seb's bed.

Sebastian was shaking and crying when Jim came back. The police had locked his hands behind his back, and were now trying to get him out of the room to their squad car. He was scared.

A few drops of the crimson liquid landed on the forehead of a police officer inspecting the bed. Jim pinched one of the adult holding Sebastian's shoulders. He definitely felt it. Jim whispered in Sebastian's ear. "Friends protect their friends, right?" He ruffled his hair. Sebastian nodded slowly and let out a choked sob. The handcuffs were too tight and his arms were bent at odd angles. "Help.." He whimpered. Jim snapped his fingers and the cuffs unlocked. "There. Hush now, watch the stupid ones work. Tell me what they're doing wrong." Jim knelt by Sebastian and held him to his chest.

Sebastian took a few deep breaths and leaned against Jim. He watched the police officers work. "I-I don't know Jim." One of them was watching him with a look of sheer confusion and really, pity. He probably thought Sebastian was insane.

"Look harder, Seb. You know what it is, you just need to say it." Jim was starting to test Sebastian properly now. Killing was only the beginning.

"I- I- Jim I can't.." Sebastian was beginning to feel scared. He didn't know what it was and he didn't know what Jim would do to him if he didn't know what the answer to the question was. Jim was growing impatient. "Why are they down here?" he hissed, before catching his composure. He squeezed Sebastian tight before letting go and standing up. Honestly, Jim was a bit disappointed that Sebastian didn't see. But in his defense, he was in shock. He decided to let this one slide. Sebastian blinked a few times and then looked up at the ceiling. "Oh!" He pointed up at the red blood seeping through the ceiling. "That, Jim?" A smile spread Jim's face like oil. Exactly, Sebastian. Good boy.

"Good, good. And thank you for pointing. The officers'll appreciate it." Jim patted his head. One of them did, indeed, see it and look surprised. "Hey! Look up!" The officer exclaimed, which earned the attention of the others as well.

Sebastian was relieved that he was off the suspect list. He wrapped his arms around Jim, pressing his face into the man's stomach. "I'm sorry I didn't see earlier." He muttered, his voice soft. Jim couldn't help but look tenderly at the boy. "Just... try harder next time, hon." Jim replied with an equal softness. He ran his hand through the boy's hair, his eyes growing soft before he caught himself. No. He would not become all sentimental and soft because of this child.

Sebastian's voice snapped Jim back to reality. "Ok. I'm sorry." Sebastian didn't know why he was apologising, he just felt as if he was doing something wrong.

Jim slowly disintegrated to shadow. He'd come back later. Maybe even in a few days. He had to wait for the incident to die down.

Sebastian opened his eyes and saw that Jim was gone. His eyes started to water. "Jim?" He reached out to where the man had been, but he wasn't there.

The one police man that was still in Sebastian's room and not in the attic was looking at Sebastian with worry. "There's no one there..."

Sebastian knew the officer was wrong. He knew Jim was real. He just had to be real. He hoped Jim would come back soon.