Chapter Two: The Hospital

CHAPTER TWO: THE HOSPITAL

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Natasha opened her eyes slightly and groaned, feeling feeble and awfully ill. IV's were injected under her skin. A heart rate monitor was hooked up to her bed, frequently ringing out a sharp sound. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Her ears throbbed.

She was in a hospital room.

Blood was smeared across her starch white hospital gown. She glanced at it and shut her eyes tight, "Oh my God." She swore to herself. Memories of her sterilization swirled through her head in a flash. She wanted to throw up.

"Nat."

She looked over to her left, seeing a familiar super soldier. Relief flooded through her. As much as she hated to admit it, she didn't like being alone. Especially when she was hurt.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He asked her.

"Clint was down." She replied loudly, starting to sit up. The cuts on her stomach stung like fire. She sucked in a sharp breath. Steve pushed her back down quickly, his eyes wide.

"Goddamn it, Rogers! I'm fine." She snapped, shoving herself back up weakly. Her joints ached with the strain.

"No, you're not." He said, scowling.

"Yes I am." She lied. Her vocal chords throbbed in pain.

"They doctors are almost done with you, Natasha." He explained.

"What happened?" She gave in and collapsed back down.

"You tore some tissue and electrocuted yourself." He replied.

"I wasn't the one shooting." She said indignantly, staring up at the ceiling. Lines crisscrossed over the pale cement in a dizzying pattern. 

"I know. But it was your decision to leave the quinjet." He said bitterly. She looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"I told you I'd come out if something went wrong, Steve." She smiled slightly. "And something went wrong."

"I know." He looked out the window absently. The street was busy and a pale iridescent sky cupped over it. The white clouds reflected into his gentle blue eyes like fog.

"You can't always protect me, Rogers." She told him.

"Sometimes I wish I could." He replied, glancing at her.

He reached over and held her hand firmly. She looked at him. He wasn't angry. He wasn't sad. She couldn't decipher what it was in his gaze but it made her feel safe.

Of course, she didn't need it.

She looked away.

"Where's Barton?" She spoke up.

"He's under operation. The blast..." Steve stopped. Nat's heart almost stopped. Steve didn't continue.

"What happened?"

"Nat, he'll be fine." Steve attempted to comfort her.

"How do you know, Steve?" Natasha asked him.

"I don't know..." He replied. "But whatever happens, I'll be here for you."

----

The next few hours were the same routine - she'd wake up, get operated on, and then pass out. This time it was different.

Natasha woke up suddenly. The IV's were gone.

"How are you feeling Miss Romanoff?" A woman asked.