Chapter 6: Hunting and Feeding

The night after that you slept in his bed with him again, but woke up pretty early. You stood up and went to the bathroom to get ready. All this time you tried not to make too much sound, since he really needed his sleep. When you exited the bathroom, the sun was shining through the windows and you could see Levi clearly. He was still sleeping and he was curled up into a ball again.

"Stop staring" he grumbled. Well, so much about the sleeping part.

"Good Morning to you as well" you smiled and went to the office. You sat down on the sofa to read again, but looked up as you saw Levi entering the room. He went to the window again and looked or actually stared outside. You had noticed how he would to that for hours at a time lately. You opened up your book anyway and began reading the next chapter.

5. Hunting and Feeding

Cats are solitary hunters and eaters. They hunt small prey, primarily birds and rodents, and are often used as a form of pest control. In the case of free-ranging pets, equipping cats with bells and not letting them out at night will reduce wildlife predation.

So if you let Levi out in this current state, he would need a bell? Maybe you could sew it on his cravat! The mental image of this was making you laugh. But he won't go out anyways. If anyone saw him as a half cat, he would probably lose the title of 'Humanity's strongest', then he would be 'Humanity's Kitten' or 'Humanity's cutest'. No one would be able to take him seriously anymore and he did not want to lose his authority. You smiled again at your thoughts and noticed Levi still standing by the window, but decided not to question it right now.

Perhaps the best known element of cats' hunting behavior, which is commonly misunderstood and often appalls cat owners because it looks like torture, is that cats often appear to "play" with prey by releasing it after capture. This behavior is due to an instinctive imperative to ensure that the prey is weak enough to be killed without endangering the cat.

You had always wondered why cats would do that. It looked just cruel to you, but this was an reasonable explanation, even though you had troubles thinking of a way a mouse could hurt a cat. You wanted to check out Levis eating behavior tonight, when the two of you were eating dinner together. It sure would be interesting for Hanji.

Cats also tend to bring their human some of their dead prey. There are many theories to explain this behavior. One suggests that the cats try to teach their owner how to hunt and another theory says it's because they try to feed the human like an elderly cat or a kitten.

Natit defiantly did that a lot. It made the Corporal nearly throw her out once. She brought Hanji a dead bird and it stained the floor, even though three cadets were assigned to clean it up. In the end Levi himself bleached it out of carpet. It was fun for everybody that wasn't involved in it. Even days later the Catpan would punish anyone who dared to talk about 'the bird incident'. The only reason Hanji was able to keep the cat was because Erwin allowed her to and you certainly did not want to know what she did to get his approval. Although you were suspecting her blackmailing him.

Domestic cats select food based on its temperature, smell and texture; they dislike chilled foods and respond most strongly to moist foods rich in amino acids, which are similar to meat. Cats may reject novel flavors and learn quickly to avoid foods that have tasted unpleasant in the past. They may also avoid sugary foods and milk.

He wasn't the guy for sweets anyway, right? At least you had never seen him eat anything like sweets before. What was surprising for you, was the part about milk. You had always thought cats liked milk?

Most adult cats are lactose intolerant; the sugars in milk are not easily digested and may cause problems for the cat. They can also develop odd eating habits. Some cats like to eat or chew on other things, most commonly wool, but also plastic, paper, string or even coal.