9

I put on my denim shorts and white Hollister T-shirt. We all walked down to the hotel restaurant and went to a table. Before I sat down, Reece dragged me off to the side.
"Hey, Megan, Mr Brookes told me to ask you if you'd be able to teach me Hawaiian. I really suck at pronouncing it so, you up for it?" He asked. I looked at his ocean blue eyes and blushed.
"Sure, how about tomorrow, 3.00 pm?" I smiled.
"Cool," he replied.

I sat back down with Jasmine and Olivia. They both whispered in each other's ears and giggled.
"What?" I asked them. Jasmine looked at me and grinned.
"So, you're going on a date with Reece?" I twisted my hair in my fingers. I guess it is sort of a date. I thought.
"He just needs help with pronounciation of the language. Nothing special," I said. "Anyway, if he found out I was half fish he'd stay away from me for at least five years." I took a sip of my lemonade.
"Talking about being half fish, do you guys want to go for a swim after lights out?" Olivia grinned. Jasmine and I looked at her with concern.
"Come on, it will be fun!" She insisted.
"We can't, sharks are way more active at night. Plus we would get so told off if our plan backfired." Jasmine replied. Olivia put her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her hand.
"I guess it could be fun," I said.
"All those in favour," Olivia raised her hand. I raised mine but knocked my glass over. Olivia and Jasmine's mouths turned to the shape of an O. "Megan, run!" I looked down at my legs and saw that the water had splashed onto them. I pushed my chair back and sprinted for the toilets. When I got there I fell. BANG! The door shut behind me and I blocked it with my tail.
"That was close," I said to myself, taking a breath of relief. There was a knock on the door. I heard a muffled voice outside.
"Hey, it's me! It's Jasmine!" I pulled myself away and flipped my tail over so I was sitting upright. The door swung open and in came Jasmine.
"Hey," she said with a smile whilst locking the door. I looked at her.
"Hey," I said glumly. She kneeled down beside me.
"What's wrong?" She asked.
"It's just... All of this." I gestured to my tail.
"Look, it's okay to be scared-"
"I'm not scared! I just think this has ruined my life! We can't touch water! It's just one big secret I have to keep from the whole world!" I slapped my hand down on the floor.
"This hasn't ruined your life, okay? We're the luckiest people in the world! Out of everyone on the planet we got this magic gift. Just... Enjoy it," she exclaimed. I put my arms out and gave her a hug.
"You're the best," I said.