Chapter 7

Unease filtered through my mind when Ironhide finally rolled down our street and into the driveway. The house stood as strong as it always had and showed no signs of the horrors that had claimed my mind only a few hours ago, but I could not shake this feeling.

"I'll be back soon," I said and popped open the cabin door.

"Don't fall up the porch steps this time."

I didn't honor him with a comment. I had to focus on getting around my aunt. She didn't take well to seeing me injured.

The stone pathway teetered beneath my foot. A certain Autobot had done a fine job of making a once pleasant path treacherous. The porch was equally tired, though for different reason, and moaned beneath my weight.

I hesitated at the front door. There was no telling where my relatives were. If they were in the foyer how would I explain my appearance? My coat?

Sitting out here certainly wouldn't help. I had to face them eventually. I might even need my uncle's help with my hand. The scabs had cracked at the park and resealed into the fabric of my glove. Tonight would be fun.

A wall of warm, dry air rushed out in greeting when I opened the door. I stepped in and removed my coat as quickly as I could, folding the bloodstains out of sight. The sound of running water gave away a presence in the kitchen. Perhaps I could just -

A small blond haired girl bounced into the entryway.

"Melry's home!"

Shoot! I gestured frantically for her to be silent.

The message was lost on the child and she bounced merrily towards me. "Is daddy with you? Mommy made pizza - why do you look like a raccoon?"

Thanks, Anna. At least she didn't realize it was a bruise. "I love Ironhide's mask so much I had to have one for myself."

"But your nose isn't black."

My brain stalled. "What?"

"Ironhide has a black nose. And his eyes all black too. Yours are only part. You need more face paint."

Damn. She was good. "That's my next project. I'm not finished yet."

"Can I help?"

What's your weapon of choice?

"Melry," Aunt Sarah called from the kitchen, "there's food if you're hungry."

"Thank you, but I think I'll have a shower first. It's been a long day."

Please don't come out.

"I'll put it in the oven to stay warm than. Don't be long."

"I won't."

Anna followed closely on my heels, chattering about face paint. I had planned to run up the stairs to avoid my aunt, but instead I found myself frozen at their base. For the first time since we had moved here I found myself paying attention to details I seldom noticed. Things like how the family photos hung almost perfectly parallel to the stairs. How the third photo up was slightly crooked, and how the fourth's frame, holding a photo of my parents and I, was cracked. The paint on the walls was dirty, too, from where Annabelle tied her shoes and Uncle Will occasionally bumped his suitcase after returning from a long mission. Little details, things that weren't important and yet gave character to the place I called home.

Details that had been consumed in a nightmare.

Warmth spread across my breast.

"I'm alright," I murmured and lay a hand gently over my heart.