Untitled Part 11

"I can't find my shoes!" Annabelle hollered.

Her feet thumped upon the stairs and, by the sound of it, tripped over the last step. It did nothing to slow her as she hastened for her bedroom.

It was a typical morning in the Lennox household.

I wasn't one to talk. My train was in a couple of hours and I had only just started packing.

"Anna, the bus is going to be here any minute!" Sarah cried.

There was a crash, like a million lego blocks had just laid their position on the battlefield, followed by, "I found them!"

I dropped a handful of bolts into a container, sealed it and placed it inside the tool box sitting on my desk. I was beginning to regret my academic negligence. The last thing I needed right now was another bout of ridicule.

I had already gotten an earful from Jessy.

Some best friend I was. Illness was no excuse for poor judgment. I should have called.

The years of secrecy had jaded my sensibilities. There had never been a reason to contact her after an attack before. In fact, it had always been taboo. I'd long grown accustomed to that fact, yet this wasn't something that had occurred in a distant city. It had taken place near my home, in an area Jessy knew I frequented.

I was such a jerk. I hated lying to her, to all of my friends.

I detested the sense of detachment it caused my civilian life.

My once close knit group of friends had dispersed because of the lies and secrets. I suppose it was inevitable. Age always brought change, but it hurt knowing the Autobots had set it in motion. They were such an integral part of my life, yet I wasn't allowed to discuss their existence with outsiders even if I cherished them as much as I did my family.

I sighed and dropped another container into the tool box. Jess would never know how much I appreciated her valiant, if not aggressive, attempts to keep in contact. I would make it up to her somehow. I had to.

She was all I had left in the outer world.

"One minute, mama." Annabelle bounced into my room moments later, a joyful smile etched upon her face. She was missing so many teeth I could not help but respond in turn.

She practically levitated into my arms.

"Bye May-May. I'll miss you."

"And I you. Be good while I'm gone, okay?"

"I will."

Her squeeze brought discomfort. I was feeling better than last night, but I still had a ways to go. I was not about to inform her, however. She didn't need fret over my wellbeing and, truthfully, the warmth of her embrace was soothing for my mind.

"Anna, the bus is coming."

A sense of gloom rushed in like a rogue wave when we parted. I didn't want to lose her.

Not again.

"Hey, Anna." She stopped at the door. "What do you say I drive you to school?"

Her smile stretched from ear to ear.

xXxXxXxXx

"I get to ride in Ironhide, Ironhide, Ironhide. I get to ride in Ironhide, all the way to school," Anna sang from the back seat.

It was a good thing Ironhide knew where he was going because I certainly didn't. None of the roads were familiar and I had a sneaking suspicion he was taking the long route. It was rather commendable. Anna was as sprightly as ever. She hadn't stopped singing since we'd left the house ten minute ago.