Chapter 7

A week later

"How are you? "Ace says, it was really odd not to see Cassie shouting in order for me to wake up.

I ignored his question and asked "When am I going to attend classes?"

"Not anytime soon, you're infected." he replies and I roll my eyes "Weren't the roses enough?"

"Can't you shut up for a minute?" He fires back and I huff "I'm not a child."

"You're not even smart to be one" He passes a cup and a piece of bread.

"I thought King's had a large buffet" I bite the bread with tastes all levels of salty, he folds a scroll and seals it with what I assume is his crest.

"A burning bird?" The flames cover the neck of the bird and the eyes were shut.

"A phoenix" He carries another paper and seals it "Do you know why its eyes are shut?"

"No..." I rest on the table, still trying to take in the drink, it looked sour "Justice?"

"Humans... Yes, it once meant that... During the time of my ancestor Haydria, the bird's eyes were opened, as a matter of fact, it was a dragon...she didn't have powers"

"And then what?"

"She lost the ones she loved to a friend, a confidante... Then she came to life, she was fire... she burnt the clouds, and the stars... nothing mattered anymore."

"What about the friend?"

"He died by her flames, although she still loved him, that power was immerse and it got worse, she couldn't control it, then her lover, offered the Phoenix king her powers to ease her pain and he did take them,  he just didn't mention that she would die..." He looked at me "And he sealed her powers with his, he lied and on the fourth night he died by fire."

"Whose fire?"

"The lover, he took it on himself... and never let the Phoenix out again." He slams a box "End of story."

"So how does this explain the shut eye?" I picked up the crest and felt warmth around me, he takes it from me and says "Anyone who betrays me, be it lover, family or friend would inevitably die the same way he did."

   I couldn't help but stare into those eyes, the way he said it felt like the words were meant for me. The door opens and I tear my gaze from him to meet Leo's.

"Hey..." I say but he doesn't respond, Ace nods in his direction and leaves the room.

"You look swollen.."

"I am swollen" I corrected, I know he's uncomfortable when he looks in the direction Ace went.

"So is he's treating you right?"

"Why wouldn't he? He's okay"

"I'm not even going to try and argue but trust me Michelle" His voice goes low "Something is wrong"

"You've been saying this for a long time now, everything seems okay to me" I lie down on the black couch and stare at him, I dont know what or who to believe anymore.

"So you're calling it a coincidence, you think a King... just got intertwined in your life by accident?"

"I think you're overreacting Leo... you need to relax." I stand up and place my hand on his shoulder "Its fine"

"We both know Its not, all of us here Michelle are low castes so tell me why all of a sudden Ace doesn't focus on his class and steps down to the lowest" I smacked him in his face, the sound echoed through the rooms "Leo... I-"

"Stop... Don't come back to me when all this" He waves his hand "Comes crashing down.

*
  Leo's gone, I and think for good this time, what was I thinking?

"So... that went well" Ace comes out from the kitchen with a cake.

"You heard?" I look at my pale hands: what's wrong with me? I never wanted to be this way, to believe that all this is a lie.

"I can't blame him... I wouldn't trust anyone easily." I walk over to him and say "Do you think I trust you?" I was so pissed, he looked at me for a minute and turned away, who does he think he is?

                       *****
I woke up in the middle of the night and used the opportunity to catch up on my assignments and notes. I crosschecked my answers one last time before keeping it in my bag.

"What are you doing Michelle?" I say to myself, I pick up a mirror and look at my reflection... I looked terrible, I sighed deeply before going downstairs.

Ace was probably sleeping so I took the last mundane food I found in the fridge and set it down.

"You're up early" I ignore him and continue eating.

"So it begins, the silent treatment..." I look up "What do you want from me Ace?"

"Nothing"

"Then stop acting like you do, I'm so tired of your bratty princely attitude, whatever you call it..."

"

"Why would you think that?"I asked.

"Is it your mom?"

"What?.No"

"Is it your dad or siblings?, I doubt you have siblings so tell me what's the matter"

"I....I....I...Just miss home, even though my dad isn't in our lives,what am I saying?,I don't even have a father,it's so stressful when my mom always talks less about him,I feel so much anger I don't even know if he's dead or alive, it's killing me inside I don't have anyone to talk to about how I feel,am always alone".It wasn't long before I noticed I was being hugged.
"You're not alone,we are here for you,Cassie,Darklocks even if she doesn't show it,Leo,most especially me"
  Tears rolled down my face,maybe it was true,why did I just pour out my emotions?,I glanced and realised I was holding a cake before Ace hugged me,this was awkward.
".....Ace"
"What?"
"The cake it's on you"
     After a while,he let go and looked at his shirt,I cleaned my eyes and there was silence,he later went to change his shirt. What just happened?

If you like this chapter please consider giving it a vote.