Chapter 13

I stood ther flabbergasted. What was Ali doing here? I had just saved her and here she was, looking tired and hungry. "Are you the person who saved me 2 years ago?" she asked timidly.

  2 years ago? It was only a second ago. Then it hit me. I saved Ali in 2009, it was now 2011. Ali looked older but more weary. I said, "Come inside." Ali hesitated before stepping over the thresh hold. I told her to sit down and she did. "What happened?" I asked. Ali bit her lip. "Come on, you can tell me." I coaxed. She took a deep breath and began.

    "After you had rescued me, the police took me away and told me how they had completely given up hope of finding me. Robert had escaped and no matter how hard the police searched for him, he was not to be found. I was reunited with my family and everything was good until a week ago. I was by myself in the garden, when I was grabbed behind and tied up. A bag was thrust over my head and I was taken away again. Yesterday when Robert was trying to move me I bit him so hard, he howled and let me go. I just ran. I walked aimlessly all night and day. Then I saw you. You kind of just appeared and I knew it was you so I followed you. That's why I am here now."

     Ali looked at me hopefully. I had absolutely no idea what to do. I was so tired that I could hardly think straight. Ali's eyes were draining of her hope as she saw me at a complete loss of what to do. "Eat something." I said to her and went to the kitchen and thrust a packet of crakers at her. She caught them and began to eat ravenously. I wondered when was the last time she had a good meal. I flopped down on the sofa and closed my eyes. "What was I supposed to do?" I wondered. "I could always call the police again. I could call her parents. I could take her to.........." I broke off mid thought.

   Ali stopped scoffing the crackers and peered around anxiously. Someone was staggering around outside.

  "Ali." Someone rasped. "I know you're in there. I saw you go in and not come out. I am going to get you."

  Ali's eyes were full of terror. She whispered. "He found me. Robert's back."