Part 7 (Final)

Rocky laid on the ground near his overturned truck in pain. Using his remaining energy, he tried to stand, but winced when he applied pressure to his hind legs. There was a sharp pain that seemed to be coming from the left hind leg. He looked over his surroundings. His recycling truck was definitely in bad shape. The front was completely mashed in. There were huge dings and dents all over the back and the vehicle was missing a wheel. He was able to spot Katie lying on the ground not far from the truck and began limping in her direction.

"Katie..." He tried to call to her, his voice still raspy. "Katie..." He gently shook her, trying to wake her up, yet she was unresponsive. "Katie, wake up." Still no response. He placed a paw on her wrist to try and feel her pulse. "Oh no..." His eyes widened. "Katie, please don't be..."

Marshall had left the beach long ago. He was completely broken and vulnerable now, having to watch not one, but TWO of his friends die. He blamed himself for Zuma's death. If he had kept a lookout like Zuma told him, instead of cowering; he would still be here. Not to mention he would still be there if he didn't have to come back for Marshall.

It's all...my fault... He got eaten...because of me. The guilt was eating the dalmatian alive, slowly making him go insane. He knew that Zuma always used to say that if he had to go, that he would rather take eternal rest in the deep blue, but the way that he was taken away surely wasn't one that he imagined before. Marshall was at the point where he wanted to escape this night. He just wanted it all to end.

"I can't take this anymore... I just can't!" He slammed his fist on his dashboard. "Why us?! Why?? Huh Bloodbeard?! We've never done anything wrong!" Tears began to escape him again. "Zuma, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." As he continued to mentally beat himself up, his pup-tag lit up and Rocky's voice came from the other end.

"Everyone... I'm sorry. I wasn't able to protect Katie." His voice sounded shaky. "I need- I need you all to meet me at the park. Come as fast as you can; It's urgent."

Rocky was the first to arrive at the park, as he was the closest one. With his recycling truck totaled, he had to limp the entire way there. He waited for the others and some time shortly after, Marshall pulled up in his EMT truck. An expression of total defeat surrounded his features. Chase was the next to come. He slowly disembarked his vehicle, staring at the pink pup-tag and collar he held in his paws, not looking up once. Rocky quickly noticed the spirit breaking expressions on their faces, as well as the other missing members of the party. A grim realization started to seep in.

"Where... where are Skye and Zuma?" He hesitantly asked. Neither pup could face him or speak. "Guys... Stop fooling around here." Tears started to fill the mixed breed's eyes. "Where are they? Where are they?" As the other two bowed their heads in depression, Rocky's answer was confirmed. "No... We-we can't be the only ones left. We just can't." He ran up to Marshall. "Marshall, please tell me Zuma's still out there. This has to be a joke! Where is he?!" He began to shout. "Give him back! Give him back! Give him ba-ha-haaack!" Rocky fully bursted out into tears, bawling freely on Marshall's chest. Marshall places an arm around him to comfort him, trying hard not to join him in his teary parade.

It's was plainly clear, the pups were defeated, broken, spiritless. In a way, they were already dead. Blood beard had won. If there was any chance for survival, the three would have to leave town, and fast.

"We-we have to leave Adventure Bay..." Rocky said. "We have to get somewhere safe. Whether it's Foggy Bottom or Carlos' jungle. We just have to leave."