Chapter 21

Chapter 21 

"How did you know I was there?" I piped up to rid of the silence that fell between us.

"I was just taking a walk around the neighborhood then I heard you screaming." Louis replied, letting go of my wrist. "It was disturbing and annoying."

I found myself disappointed because he wasn't touching me any more. It's the closest thing to holding hands right? 

"You shouldn't be walking home alone." Louis said sternly and glanced at me. He resembled my dad, the first time he told me to not talk to any strangers.

What the hell Brook? Louis resembling my dad, that's gross. 

"I had no choice but to walk home," I paused. "Devin didn't give me a ride home."

"So that's how he treats you? He makes you walk home alone?" Louis's jaw tightened a little. "Isn't he your best friend?" 

"Yeah he is and he's grounded so he cant drive." I replied. "Why do you care about the way Devin treats me?" I queried.

I was sensing that he was a little jealous because Devin's my best friend and that he cared about my safety. Although, that's what it seems like, I don't want to get my hopes because Louis is Louis. 

"I-I was just saying that he should treat you better." Louis tried his best to avoid my contact. "I'll just drive you home from school ok?" He sounded sincere and it made my heart melt. 

I smiled a little because he seemed to change the subject really quick and didn't really answer my question. He cares about me. 

I thought you weren't gonna get your hopes up?

Right, he doesn't care about me. 

"Ok," I responded. I let Louis walk in front of me, so that I could smile really big, without him thinking that I'm insane. 

He already thinks that. 

I wiped the smile off my face as Louis suddenly turned around to look at me. "Walk next to me, you might get pushed against a wall by some asshole again."

I bit my lip and catched up to him. He wants to protect me. He wants me to be safe. Why can't he be like this all the time? 

"Thanks for saving me," I finally said.

"My mum would've killed me if she found out that I witnessed you get hurt." 

"So it wasn't to save me, it was to save yourself." I raised a brow at him. 

Louis looked at the ground and kicked the dirt as he walked. "It might've been to save you too..." 

I knew that he didn't want to admit that to maintain his pride but he did any way. The beat of my heart picked up quickly. Louis was the only person in the entire world that had the capability of doing that. 

The next day was a lazy Saturday. I did nothing but watch movies with Ariana and eat junk food. Normal, teenager crap. After hours of watching movies, I finally brought myself to ask Ariana a question that has been bothering me since yesterday. 

"Ariana, do you think that Louis could ever like me?" I questioned. 

I know that I always say that it's not possible for him to like me but after what went down yesterday, when he saved me, I feel like it is possible. 

"I actually think that he does right now." Ariana raised her head to look at me. "Think about it. He wanted to make sure that you were safe and he even offered you a ride home from school everyday." 

"But what if he's just saying that because his mom told him to take care of me," I counteracted. 

"Maybe but I think I'm right. It's the perfect explanation for the way he's been acting lately. This is your chance to finally have him!" Ariana shook my shoulders and smiled. 

I laughed. "I don't have the guts to make a move on him. If he's ever sure that he has feelings for me, he would tell me straight up." 

"Then you'd run into his arms and live happily ever after." Ariana winked. 

After Ariana left, I began to walk to the to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I passed Louis's room, and thought of what he could be doing in there. I shook my head.

Stop thinking about him.

Things would be so much easier if my room had a bathroom in it like his. Just as I walked past his door, I heard something that I never thought that I would hear. He was singing. I walked back to his door and pressed my ear agaisnt the door, I stayed there, at his door and listened to him sing. He was amazing. I wanted to record him so that I could listen to him over and over again. I reached into my back pocket to grab my phone, only to realize that I left my phone in my room.

Idiot. 

"Brooklyn, what are you doing?" a little voice behind me sounded.

I turned around to find Lance with his eyebrows furrowed as he watched me eavesdrop on his brother. Out of all times, Lance decides to show up and start a conversation with me. 

"Um, I listening to Louis." I whispered quickly. 

"No one is around, Brooklyn. Why are you whispering?" He asked. 

"Because I don't want your brother to find out that I'm-" I was interrupted by the sound of Louis's door opening.

"Find out what?" Louis looked at me, intently and I felt a shock of panic through my body. 

"Mum baked some cookies so I'm gonna go to the kitchen," Lance announced leaving Louis and I alone.

Seriously Lance. 

"Nothing," I said, looking everywhere but in his direction although I knew that I was gonna meet his gaze very soon.

"You were listening to me sing." Louis replied. "and because I know you, you now like me even more because I sing."

I tried to stop myself from thinking of scenarios where Louis would sing to me to show me how he felt about me. Why would he even do that if he hasn't confessed his feelings for me yet? 

You don't even know if he likes you or not. 

"You're so full of yourself." I rolled my eyes in disbelief of his attitude. "What makes you so sure?" 

"Girls like guys that can sing. It's a fact." Louis smirked to himself and I have to admit that it was an adorable smirk. "And because I know you, you are absolutely turned on by the fact that my singing voice isn't that right?" He took a step closer to me, making the distance between us at least 1 millimeter. 

Yes Louis, you're right. It's hot that you can sing. I would never give him that satisfaction so I didn't answer.

"Louis, I don't like you anymore." I said calmly and turned away before he could say anything else. I resumed my walk over to the bathroom. 

"Is that because you no longer like me but you love me?" Louis called out. 

I stopped and wanted to turn around and say 'You're right. I'm madly in love with you but I can't do anything about it because I want to be sure that you feel the same way' but that's never going to happen. I just sighed and continued to walk. 

__________________________

Sorry for not updating last week! I was busy with midterms and I finally got a chance to write this chapter! Thank you so much for reading and bearing with me! :)