Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Amy graduated from high school in 1920 and took a job as a secretary's assistant at the Black Sewing Machine. She was gone six hours every weekday, leaving Hannah the only daughter to help with the chores. Over the summer, Pa, Erik, and Harry would be outside in the garden or barn.

At the age of nine, Hannah continued with piano lessons, but because she was quite good at playing, she began instructing a couple of younger girls down the street and was paid a nickel for each lesson. She saved the money dutifully, not one to waste it on penny candy. After a year of saving, Pa suggested she open her own savings account.

"Once your siblings reached a certain age and started earning a bit of money, they all opened accounts at the bank. Of course, your brothers weren't too excited about the idea. They'd rather spend the money than save it," Pa explained.

"That doesn't surprise me," Hannah said.

After the bank outing, Hannah went with Amy to the hair salon. Since she had turned ten years old, she thought herself a proper lady.

"What are you going to have done?" Amy asked.

"Can I wear my hair like yours?" Hannah returned.

"I can't believe you really want a short bob, Hannah. Will you take the time to curl it and style it properly?"

"At least for Sunday church and special occasions."

"I think you will look beautiful and so grown up."

Going to the salon was a new experience for Hannah. She saw how other girls wore clips in their hair, parted on the side with no bangs, and she figured she would do likewise with her new hairstyle.

"There's nothing to be nervous about, young lady," the hairdresser said as Hannah took a seat in the swivel chair in front of the mirror. Hannah had just finished explaining what she wanted done, indicating Amy's hair as she stood next to the pair.

"Do you think it'll look good on me?"

"You bet your socks you will."

A little later, Hannah stared at herself in the mirror, transfixed at her transformation. She carefully brought her right hand to her dark blonde hair and smoothed it down. It stopped right below her chin, with long side-swept bangs.

"You look lovely, Hannah," Amy said. "You're sure to turn some heads at school."

"No boys, thank you, but still, if Louisa and Rosemary wind up copying me, I'll take it as a compliment."

Over the years, Hannah had become the ringleader of the group of girls on her street. Abigail Miller and Elizabeth Bradford were part of the Madison Avenue clan of girls, in addition to the Foley sisters.

Hannah's mind was on her friends as she strolled home that May day with Amy. She wondered if she would pass any of them on the street and what they would say. No one was outside, however, since it was nearly dinnertime. When Amy and Hannah arrived at the bottom of their driveway, Hannah stopped and gazed up at the two large sycamore trees in the front yard.

"How old do you think they are?" she asked.

"Much older than the house. The same with the huge rock by the street," Amy replied. "That rock has been there as long as I can remember."

"Our rock marks our house and is perfect for climbing," Hannah said, going to it and sitting. "Look, cardinals!"

Amy smiled at the birds and at her sister's enthusiasm.

"Come on, Hannah," Amy beckoned. "We'd better be going inside for dinner."

Just then, Mr. Morris, the fruit and vegetable delivery man on his old horse-drawn cart, stopped in front of their house and stepped down.

"Evenin', girls!" he said with a friendly wave. "There was a delay this morning, so I'm just making my rounds now. Your mother placed a large order this week." He unloaded the produce from the back of the cart and began walking toward the house.

"We can help," Amy offered, taking a bag filled with apples, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Hannah jumped down from the rock and took the other bag. She flashed a smile at the older gentleman, who returned it, his weather-worn face kind, gratitude in his deep-set blue eyes.

"Thank you greatly, ladies. Good evenin' to you." He tipped his hat, returned to the cart, and was off.

The sisters entered their home and unloaded the groceries in the kitchen.

"I was beginning to wonder if you'd miss dinner. I see the delivery has arrived," Ma said, not taking her eyes off the roast as she removed it from the oven.

Hannah and Amy quickly put the produce away and washed up. Anxious for her mother's reaction to her new look, Hannah took her seat. Pa and the boys entered through the back door. Erik smirked at Hannah, and Harry snorted a half-laugh.

"Well, don't you look pretty," Pa said in his usual kind manner.

"You mean you like it?" Hannah asked, basking in her father's approval.

"You're a real modern lady now, Hannah."

"What's all this talk about?" Ma asked as she turned around. Her eyes locked onto Hannah's hair for a moment, and Hannah awaited the words of disapproval that were sure to follow.

"It's different, I'll give you that," Ma said, "but it will take some getting used to, but Pa is right."

"Aw, thanks, Ma!" Hannah said, delighted.

When everything was set, the meal commenced. After the prayer, Ma and Pa reached across the table and took hands. This unexpected gesture was enough to cause even the boys to stop eating.

"What's going on?" asked Amy.

"Your mother and I have something important to share with you," Pa said. He exchanged a smile with his wife, and Lucy nervously returned it, squeezing his hand.

"Yes, we do," she affirmed. "You're all going to have another sibling."

t