Chapter Eleven

Hannah found a lilac dress to wear as maid of honor in the spring. The straight-cut dress stopped just below her knees and had flared short sleeves, with a modest V-neck. Sequins decorated the bottom of the skirt, the waist, and the fringes of the sleeves in art deco patterns. Hannah's smile widened in the bridal shop mirror as Ma came from behind and pulled the sides of her hair back.

"With some clips and flowers in it, that would look lovely," she said.

Hannah beamed.

In the following weeks, Hannah turned fourteen and finished the school year in high spirits. Erik returned home without his friends. The whole family was together again for the first time in months, and with the wedding days away, everyone was extra busy.

As the day drew closer, Hannah's excitement and joy for Amy grew, old resentment long forgotten.

Jack had moved out of his parents' house two weeks ago and had secured a modest apartment close to their place of employment. Amy explained that they would buy a house in a couple of years when they were ready to start a family. She often spoke of traveling the country, of maybe even crossing the ocean to visit Europe.

"We've been saving our money for years now," Amy said as she and Hannah arranged flowers for the bridal bouquets the day before the wedding. "Taking a train all the way out to San Francisco for our honeymoon is just the beginning."

"What does Ma think of all this?" Hannah asked.

Amy frowned slightly. "You know Ma. Pa is backing her on this, of course. There is the expectation that I follow in their footsteps: no honeymoon, buy a house right away, and waste no time starting a family. When I told Ma she was being all wet, she didn't like that."

Hannah couldn't help but laugh.

Amy joined in the laughter. "Ma will never catch on to the changing times. I've had arguments with her for years, and she's so stubborn, she'll stay living in the nineteenth century for the rest of her life."

"I wonder if we'll be like that when we're older."

Amy sobered. "If we become half the woman she is, I'd say we'll be doing very well."

Considering this, Hannah acquiesced. "You're right. Ma has always put her family first."

Nodding, Amy said, "Look at these flowers. Beautiful, just beautiful."

"Another thing Ma's doing right: her garden," Hannah said. "I think I have enough blooms. You?"

"Yes. Let's get these inside and in some water before they wilt."

x x x x x

When dawn broke just before six o'clock, Ma went about the house waking everyone. Hannah dragged as she made her way down for breakfast. Her mother's nervous energy soon became infectious as the family quickly ate.

The morning was a whirlwind of dressing and doing hair, getting the bouquets ready, and driving to the church. Hannah was the last person at Amy's side as the bride waited to walk down the aisle.

"You look as beautiful as one of God's angels," Hannah said, adjusting the veil to cover Amy's face.

Amy's gown was overlaid in Irish lace, from the V-neck collar, to the three-quarters length sleeves, to the graceful knee-length skirt that ended in a sweeping train. She held a bouquet of various-colored lilies. Although largely concealed by the veil, Amy's hair was curled and decorated with baby's breath throughout.