Chapter 1

Seven Years later...

It smelt like home. The pinewood and wildflowers. I was home, finally. My body bounced around in the back of the coach on the road back to Loxley. I hadn't been home for seven years and I had missed everything. I smiled as I tugged at my dress. I wonder if anyone would remember me. I wonder how my brothers have turned out; their letters always gave me great joy over the years. I wonder if my father can see the old me still buried under this dress, face and hair. I wonder if my mother would be proud of the lady I had been beaten into. The carriage suddenly stopped and I jolted forward as voices sounded outside.

"What or who are we carrying today good sir?"

"Just a lady and all her possession,"

"A lady?" I pulled out a small dagger I had concealed in my dress and held it close. Everyone had heard stories of the outlaws in Sherwood. Calming my breath, I listened to the footsteps crunch on the ground. The door flung open as I launched myself out the door. Dagger pointed ready to confront whoever had decided to hold me up.

"Marian," I knew that voice. Turning around quickly I saw one of the people I had missed most.

"Will," I smiled and threw my arms around him, he returned my embrace laughing to himself.

"Look at you, you have grown into a man," I held his face in my hands. He had grown at least a foot taller than me. He had shaggy dark brown hair and a black beard, not a bushy one but enough to make him look a couple of years older. But his eyes were still the same dark blue pools of water.

"Look at me? Look at you, who are you and what have you done with my sister," he held part of the dress I wore.

"You know mother, I must look perfect or she might send me back, Will what are you doing holding up coaches?" I questioned as my smile dropped.

"I am an outlaw," he spun around in circles, pulling his hood over his head.

"Why? How?" so many questions were just popping into my mind.

"Well..."

"Will, what's the matter, this is hold up for god sakes," another voice came from the woods. Around the corner, I came face to face with my childhood nemesis.

"Robin," my eyes narrowed,

"Marian?" he questioned and smiled,

"Looks like your mother and aunt succeeded in taming you," he laughed and stepped forward to hug me but I stepped back. He too was at least a foot taller than me and he had shaggy brown hair and beard much like Will's. But his eyes, they seem to have gotten bluer over the years.

"What no embrace for your old friend?"

"Time may have passed and seasons changed but my feelings still remain the same about you," I turned back to Will. I smiled and looked to him for answers.

"I'll explain it all later, but mother is probably expecting you," I nodded and went back to the carriage.

"Meet me here at nightfall and I will explain everything," he hugged me one last time.

"Farewell thee ever so sweet Marian," Robin walked up and kissed my hand,

"Robin," I pulled my hand away and sat in the carriage.

"See you soon," I ruffled Will's hair before the carriage began to bounce around again.

The carriage pulled up to the house and I jumped out walking straight to the coachman.