Chapter 4: Snow Falling=Bad Luck

As we headed back to the neighborhood, we came across some snow falling, and not just falling. Later, it dropped like buckets. It was the middle of winter and now, icy roads be more common as we got away from the lake. The trees were white bushes as night fell. We couldn’t even see the road. We quickly took a right and found ourselves on a back-country road, next to a dense forest. Suddenly, the ATV made a gurgle sound and then immediately stopped in the middle of the road. The snow seemed to stop too; coming down immensely and then  turned into a light flurry.

“Please tell me the ATV is fine!,” said Aaron in a panicked voice. I quickly assured him it was fine. I got up and looked at the engine. Fine. Looked at the axles. Fine too. Gas! 

“Get off!,” I said in a hurried expression. “My one friend taught me if you smell the into the gas cap, you can tell if there is gas in the gas can.”

“And this has to do with what?” Hannah said, confused.

“It makes sure that theres gas in the container.”

I quickly took a whiff, hoping there was gas. Not a strong fume, but a very faint one. This meant, no gas. I was now frustrated. Only one way out and thats through the woods.

“Guys, pack up. Were taking a hike through the woods”

*  *  *

The snow, as cold as it was, felt like just water. Melty, sloppy water. We had some coats and we just started through the woods. Later, as we trekked farther into the forest, the snow was like regular snow again. The moon was like a thousand angels dancing merrily on the ground. The snow was close to two feet deep and it was dense and packed down as we stepped. Trees were covered to the bark in a shinny coating of ice. Off in the distance, we heard large branches snapping and hitting the hard ground. Each one branch made us jump a little. Even in the distance, they were loud. as we kept going we would get stuck in snow now and then and we would just keep going. As we approached the end of the forest we saw a small town up ahead. We exited the forest for good now.

We now ran the rest of the forest, we tried to at least. I tripped a few times. We ran to the nearest house. It was a small, one-story house. It would have to do for tonight. I ran up the front step after walking through the driveway, covered in snow. I tried opening the door. Locked! The way we got in was something I saw in a movie. Pray it works.

“Hannah, give me one of your hairpins,” I said.

She pulled out a hairpin from her hair, letting her hair go long. She shook her hair and handed me the pin. I twisted it and stuck it in the lock. Pop!

“And were in.” I said

I pulled the door open and walked inside. No one inside. Figures. One couch, a bedroom, and a reclining chair filled the house. A kitchen and a small bathroom was also there. Aaron got the bedroom by request, I got the chair and Hannah got the couch. Long day. Long sleepless night.

About 2:30 AM, I finally got up and went to get a snack. I opened the fridge and found a container with celery in it. I closed the door and found Hannah standing behind it. I jumped at the sight of her right there.

“Sorry, couldnʻt sleep and man your like a ninja!” I said.

“Me neither, and yeah I can do that sometimes. Hey, can I ask you a question?”

“Sure why not?” I said kinda puzzled.

“Why do you care about our safety so much? I mean were just other people you don’t know.” She said.

“Because, right now, you guys are so much as family. We, right now, don’t have our parents, brothers or sisters. I canʻt let you guys down. What if I just walked out of the house right now and took everything away? I couldn’t do that to my “family”.”

She mumbled something, but I couldn’t hear her. After that, she smiled and continued

“Thanks, thanks so much.” she said in a quiet voice. She hugged me. Aaron had quietly come up behind us from his bedroom looking very tired. He was about to say something and stopped. He saw us and guess it made him feel like he was inter-fearing. He forgot all about what he was going to say and walked off. She let go. She smiled and walked back to the living room. We both later, went to sleep soundly.