Chapter 13: The Necklace of Hope

It was almost six months since I was allowed to even see them. They had been locked away in a hospital for who knows how long. Truth be told, I was scared for them. Every day, I went to the hospital to talk to the doctor. Everyday ws the same. He would tell me they were in severe condition and they couldn't be seen today.

Turns out, Hannah had hit her head on a rock, letting blood come out. I never noticed it before. She was out in a coma for almost a week. Abby had the shot go into her stomach, causing severe internal bleeding. One day, I went to the hospital like normal. I opened the double doors to the lobby and strolled down the steps to intensive care. I opened the door there and saw the doctor standing in the office, writing something on his clipboard. I hit the bell on the counter to get his attention. He turned around and saw me. He rolled his eyes. 

"What do you need?" He asked

"How are they?" I asked. I hoped everyday they would be fine. 

"They are actually doing good. They started showing signs of healing signifigantly.  Would you like to see them?" He asked me. Finally, I could see my friends after six months.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. 

"Room A-4 and A-5. Before you go, I would like to ask you something." He asked in a low voice. 

"Sure, what is it?" He seemed worried about something.

"How did those two actually get hurt so bad?" He was onto me, it seemed. His expression turned from happy to concerned. Very concerned. I hated lying, especially to a doctor. But if I told what really happened, we wouldn't be able to keep a secret. I had to come up with a distraction.

"Can I see my friends first? I really need to see them. Its been to long. I walked away and proceeded down to A-4. It was Hannah's room.

"Knock, knock, knock!" I said. She looked at me and her eyes widened.

"Jack! What happened? I don't remeber anything for the past week. Did we get off the island? What happened? Is everyone back?" She threw questions at me faster than bullet train. I had to interrupt her.

"Listen, stop talking! Keep your voice down. No one knows about it yet. Yes everyone is back and we are off the island." I told her. I didn't want anybody to know. But I knew eventually I had to tell the world. Or at least Hannah's parents. They were going to wonder their son was. I knew where he was. 

"What happened?"  She asked. "I'm scared." She said silently.

"I know, I'm really scared, too. Okay, when we were climbing down the mountain, you slipped on some loose gravel and hit your head. Let me tell you, your tough. Doctor says you could have died from a fall like that. When we got to the edge of the island, or just a really flooded part of it, Abby got shot by someone in the bushes. I drew a gun from my back pocket. The people who put us there were stupid enough to even leave us with a gun. I heard him get shot, then he drove off into the island. Eventually we were rescued." I told her. 

"I've been trying to give you this ever since the day, well when you saved me." She said.

She reached behind her neck and pulled off her necklace. It was the one that said hope. She put it in my hand and closed it up. 

"My mom says it has powers. If you clutch it when you're scared or have a problem, all the pain goes away." She said softly. I clutched as hard as I could. I did feel the pain ease away. 

"Go check on Abby." She told me.

I looked at her caring eyes. They were green. A solemn green. But this time, her smile said it all. Not her eye, her hands, or even her words. Her smile was the key. I clutched the small necklace and walked out of the room. Across the hall was my next destination. I walked in. The t.v was on and she was watching it, with an odd expression.