Chapter 5: Plane Landing

Day Three Week 1

Chapter 5: Plane Landing

It was morning. A quiet, subtle morning. I had barely remembered last night but mostly remembered what are goal was today, to find a working transportation, with a full tank of gas. Also to get food and water. The house we stayed in lacked any fresh food. I gathered up my things, and noticed both Aaron and Hannah were asleep still. I would leave a note on the coffee table next to the chair and find transportation myself. I opened the door quietly and shut it even more quietly. I was almost to the street when the door opened and closed again. Hannah was standing at the doorstep, waiting for an explanation. 

“Where are you going?” Hannah asked impatiently.

“Find another a working vehicle, why, do you want to come?”

She stopped and thought. She replied “Sure, why not.”

We went off on the street and looked in many garages. Lots of cars, but no ATVs, scooters, or motorbikes. Nothing. Somehow, this was so boring and got very tiring. After searching the whole neighborhood, we decided a car was our only option. I ran to the nearest car, about a block down and got to the driver side door. Who would leave their car open in their driveway? So, I assumed it was locked. I took my coat off and wrapped it around my fist, and with all my strength I punched out the carʻs driver window. I also saw this in a movie, too I started to take the coat off my hand when Hannah just opened the door from the outside. Not locked, at all. Well, with that done I looked in the ignition, no keys. I looked through the whole car and not a set of keys anywhere. Under the seats, in the glove box, I even checked the trunk. 

“Move aside, this is as simple as first grade math” Hannah said with great positivity. She went under the steering wheel, ripped the cover of the ignition, baring all the wires to the starter. She pulled out a small yellow wire. She had very long fingernails, which she used to cut the wire in half. She also grabbed a blue wire. She rubbed the two together and the car started up. Even I didn’t know how to do that.

“There, problem solved.” She said.

“How do you know how to hot-wire a car?” I said very confused.

She replied, “My dad is a mechanic. He teaches me all that stuff.”

A cool thing was we now had a working car. Time to roll. We jumped into the car, and I tried my best to drive. We drove about the same speed as we did on the ATV. 

“What about Aaron?” Hannah said.

“I left a note saying I, now we, would be back by sundown.” I said, sounding prepared.

I was getting kinda used to driving. Of course in a few months I would have had to do it so I could get my drivers license. It wasnʻt that hard once you drove for a while. We drove past vast and long neighborhoods, buildings, and and then decided we would check houses for food. I looked for bigger houses, and found a white one on Central Ave. I stopped the car and told her we need to find food. We split up. I went to the white house I spotted and she went to a small brick house across the street. I walked up to the door, and opened it with ease. I immediately started looking for the kitchen, or anywhere there was food. I walked through what seemed to be the living room, and then found the kitchen. I found the fridge and opened it. Top shelf, nothing. Same as the white middle and bottom shelves. The freezer was right next to the fridge and wasnʻt much different. Just an empty, cold gateway to nowhere.  I looked around after I had slammed the doors shut and found cabinets scattered throughout the kitchen. After about 5 minutes of searching the maple colored cabinets, there hadnʻt been a single morsel of food anywhere. I ran to the front door and outside I went. I quickly found Hannahʻs house that she was digging at. The door was open and I walked in. She was empty handed. Nothing. I knocked on the door, signaling I was ready to go.