Chapter 11: My New Enemy

I missed the party they told me. I was out of it for about ten minutes they told me. Oh well, now, time to win a bet. We drove for about an hour, but I only remember the ten minutes I wasn’t asleep on the way. When I woke, the trucks brakes screeched, and we jolted forward as the truck stopped. I looked out the tinted windows at a large, concrete building. I looked slender and long. I jumped out to a concrete ground littered with little stones. Not gravel, but they would be a boulder to an ant.  In front of me lay the concrete building. It stood taller than the sun. We walked to a large concrete door, about 10 feet high. There was no we were getting in. 

A voice rose behind us, “So, my brother has failed me. Like always.” He sounded like Aaron. Not deep, but soft. I spun around fast. I came to a shorter man, close to my height, but a bit taller. He had a light tan skin tone with hair about as long as mine. He looked like he was mad. Like blistering mad.

“Who are you?” I said. I regret ever saying that. 

“You’re worst nightmare” He said. He rose his hand up and showed us his shiny “gun”. It was my tranquilizer gun, and I mean my exact same one. It gleamed with hatred as he rose it up. He pointed it straight at Abby, who was on the far left. We had left the guns in the truck. Defenseless. That was the only word that came to my head. Then, Abby tried her best to run, but she was darted in the leg. The gun gave a slight whistle. She hit the gravely concrete. I ran to Abby’s side. She was asleep. I turned back around to face the new enemy.  I was next, I thought. Then, the next word hit me clear in the face. Defeat. I actually for once gave up and accepted defeat. I closed my eyes, then felt a sting in my right arm. I yelped. I slowly cleared my mind then just fell into a state of pitch black. 

***

Day Five, Week One

When I woke, I felt like I had jet lag. I didn’t know why, but I was dizzy and tired. My vision was blurry. It cleared after a bit. I looked around me and saw chains hanging from the celling. I looked at what I was laying on. It was a white table. It had red splashes of who knows what on it. It had a slight dip in towards the middle. The floor was a dull tile floor with stains of black color and mold on it. The celling was about ten feet high. On the end of the weird chains were circle locks. I looked to my right and saw a stair case. A spiral one, too. I got off the odd table and went to examine the stair case. It went about 25-30 feet down. Or so I could tell, because it was pitch black. I looked at the front of the room. There was a little twelve step staircase going up to a small platform, which was covered in rust. There were two steel doors with complicated door locks on them. Finally, I looked to my right to find the two on the same tables. I carefully walked over to them, avoiding the overhead chains. I got to Abby first. I shook her by the shoulders. 

“Hey, wake up.” I whispered in her ear.

No response. I had no choice but to slap her a few times. I did and waited to see if she finally came to. She did eventually with a jolt up. 

“What is this place?” She asked. She was a little delirious. 

“I have no idea. You get up and check around a bit more. I’ll see if I can wake up Sleeping Beauty over here.” I told her.

I went over to Hannah and began doing the same procedure. She awoke but she was scared when she saw she wasn’t on the outside. And for once, I was scared, too. I felt like a lab rat locked in a cage for testing. It looked like the only way out was by the steel doors located at the far end of the room. Or so we thought. The only light was a small one high atop the celling. It glowed orange. Orange of all colors.

I shook away all thoughts and focused on getting out. The two doors. I ran up there as fast as I could. When I reached the staircase, it creaked. It wanted to give way. I came to the door on the right. A simple keyhole stood vague. It probably had never been touched before. I  had never been so clueless in my life before. How we were gonna get out of the room? With no key, what would we do?