5. Again?

Damon Clarkson

It's Thursday night. Just a little after nine o'clock. I decide to go to that little coffee/pastries/book shop before I head home. I think it's the same shop where the girl that slapped me had gotten her coffee which she spilled all over my suit from. I get in my car and tell my driver to take me to the shop before we go home.

"Wait around the corner for me Samuel," I say and get out of the car. I walk into the shop and the bell at the top of the door chimes indicating that someone has entered the shop. The lights are dim and I don't see anyone for a minute. I look around "hello" I say and no one replies so I decide to leave but just than I hear a voice.

"...closing the shop now, okay?" I hear a female voice say, but I don't see her so I take a few more steps in the direction of her voice. "Yes, I'll be home soon. I love you." I am confused now. I don't see anyone so I decide to say hello again.

"Hello," I say.

"Hello," says the voice in return, "I'm sorry sir, the shop is closed."

"Where are you?" I ask.

"Oh sorry, how rude of me. I'm up here," she says. So I turn around and look up. There I see a girl on a tall ladder. She has a maroon color flowy skirt that is all the way down to her ankle, she has a black tank top and a dark green apron wrapped around her waist and her hair is tied in a messy bun. She is barefoot, tiptoeing on the ladder while she is putting away some books.

The sight of her makes me smile. Clearing my throat I start talking "well, I see that you are closing, but you see I was having a meeting which happened to ran a lot longer than I had hoped for it to go, and totally missed my lunch and dinner," I said thoughtfully, "so I was just wondering if I could buy a cup of coffee and any kind of pastry that you have left from the day it would make my day so much better," I say and she chuckles.

"I'm so sorry that you've had a long day sir. I'm pretty sure we are out of coffee, but let me see what I can find for you. Just give me a second, okay?" She says.

"Thank you."

After a minute or so she starts stepping down from the ladder. She only had a few more steps before she landed on the floor but she misses a step and starts falling backwards. Thankfully I was close by so I extend both my arms and catch her. I look at the girl that is in my arms and I am beyond shocked.

She has her phone in her left hand and currently she is squeezing the life out of it. She has both her arms over her chest while her eyes are closed shut. I am baffled that it's that same girl that has been occupying mind for the last six days and I think she just occupied my heart as well. Ah, what the hell are you thinking Damon? I scold myself. Shaking my head I gently put her on her feet and she still has her eyes closed.

"You can open your eyes now," I say.

She takes a deep breath and opens her eyes slowly. Looking up at me she starts saying "Thank yo..." but doesn't finish it when she sees my face. She stares at me for a good long minute before she says, "get out."

I blink a couple of times "excuse me?" I ask thinking surely I heard that wrong.

"I. Said. Get. Out." She emphasizes each and every word.

I take a deep breath before I speak "listen," I look at her name tag that is on her apron, "Bethany, I'm sorry about the other day. I didn't..."

"Get out," she says looking straight in my eyes.

"Listen, I'm sor..." I start saying but she looks furious and she grabs my arm and starts leading me to the door. After taking a couple of steps I stop walking and instead I grab her wrist; our skin to skin contact causes sparks to shot through my body. When I look at her I know she felt it too. Mentally shaking my head I got over the shock and spinned her around and pull her to me. Now I am holding her left arm around her back and we are pressed against each other. She is at least a foot shorter than me.