Runaways

I couldn't stay in the tree forever, no matter how comfortable it was. I had to go find my sister, or someone that would help me. I set out that day, with a last wistful look at my tree, my fortress of the last two days.

The sun felt warm on my back, the breeze cool on my face. The birds were chirping, the stream was rushing, the sky was a perfect shade of blue.

Any other day I would have enjoyed it.
Any other day I would have had Mara by my side, splashing in the stream with me.

I sighed, and kicked a pebble into the water. Where was I even going to go?

"What are you doing inside my borders?" A voice demanded, echoing all around me.

I looked around in shock. "Who- who are you?" If I was in someone else's borders, it wouldn't end well.

"Who are you, might I ask?" The mysterious voice growled in a low tone.

I gulped, still trying to figure out where it was coming from. "Mor- Morwen."

An arrow whizzed past me and stuck into the tree behind.

I didn't flinch, I just stared up into a tree, the direction from which the arrow had come.

I slowly made out a pair of striking blue eyes, and a childish grin.

"Legolas," I groaned. "You scared me to death!"

He jumped down from the tree. "Aw come on, Morwen! You're obviously not dead." The young elven prince was still wearing a playful smile.

I yanked his arrow out of the tree and tossed it to him, rolling my eyes. "Why don't you scare someone else next time? I'm kind of busy."

"With what?" Legolas caught the arrow and looked at me curiously.

"Does it matter?"

"Yes, because you're still in my realm."

I couldn't help but giggle a little. "Fine, fine, oh great future elf-king. I'm leaving."

Legolas's teasing expression turned to one of shock. "Why?" He burst out.

"Because Mara left." I said, suddenly avoiding his gaze. "I have to find her."

"But Mara wouldn't just leave!" He persisted.

"Well, she did!" I snapped, getting ready to keep going. I saw the hurt look on my young friend's face, and I immediately softened my voice. "I'm sorry," I apologized. "I really need to go, though."

Legolas quickly suggested, "I could come with you if you want."

I almost refused, but I stopped myself. It would be nice to have a friend along, even if he could be obnoxious sometimes.

"Morwen?" Legolas looked at me hopefully.

"Sure, I guess." I shrugged, but inside I felt relieved that I'd have someone with me.

-

We traveled for the rest of that day, and we reached the edge of Mirkwood.

"I think we're traveling... South."
Declared Legolas decisively.

"Is that good or bad?" I asked nervously.

"Depends on where you're going." Legolas stopped, and stared at me. "Where ARE we going?"

I sighed. "I don't have a clue."

"Well, it's getting dark. We should get some rest." He started to lay down on the ground, but I beckoned him to come up into the tree. He followed, puzzled.

Eager to impress him, I closed my eyes and thought as hard as I could, speaking to the trees in my mind. I had almost given up, but then all of a sudden a searing pain shot through my head.

The branches slowly curled out into comfortable sleeping spots, and branches arched over and around us to protect us from the wind.

Legolas gaped at me. "What did you do?" He whispered in awe.

I barely heard him. I was gasping for breath as I clutched my head and squeezed my eyes closed, trying to ignore the pain. Why hadn't I just left the tree alone?

Legolas noticed my pain, and quickly helped me lie down and brought me some water. "Are you alright?" He asked worriedly.

I slowly nodded as the headache faded. "Thank you," I said hoarsely, sipping some of the water. I was glad that I had someone with me. It was going to be a long journey.