Practice

I bolted up the next morning, feeling energized. Legolas was still sleeping, curled up in his bed.

I grinned, and snuck past him to go on a walk, grabbing my dagger on the way.

I wandered around aimlessly, enjoying the beautiful forest. The trees swayed it the breeze, and the dry leaves crunched under my boots. The wind pushed the hair away from my face and when I closed my eyes and breathed in the sweet scent of the air, I felt as if the world was perfect.

Then an ear-splitting scream of terror echoed in my head, and horror washed over me as my eyelids snapped open and I ran.

I didn't know where I was going, but it was toward the horrible screaming.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw the source of the screaming. A young boy, about 8 or 9, was hurling knives at a tree trunk, and they stuck fast. Another wail of agony rode through my mind.

I clenched my teeth as I walked over to the boy and grabbed the knife out of his hand. "Stop," I hissed.

His eyes widened in terror, and he began to back away slowly. I was suddenly filled with curiosity. Had this boy never seen an elf before? He was obviously from Laketown, or Dale, both which traded frequently with the Mirkwood realm.

"It's alright, I won't hurt you." My voice gentled. I swiftly pulled the two knives out of the the tree trunk, and held them out to the boy.

He slowly inched closer, and took them with trembling fingers. He started to back away again.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gotten angry like that," I said apologetically. "It just hurts the tree when you throw knives at it."

The boy now gazed at me in wonder and awe. "So it's true, the elves can talk to the trees." He murmured.

I didn't correct him, because I didn't want to explain my strange power- or whatever it it was. I just smiled. "I think this tree is especially sensitive to knives." I scanned the area, and spotted one with a large, thick trunk that surely wouldn't be hurt by a few scratches in the bark. "But that one over there is good for aiming practice." I pointed, and together we walked over to it.

"Are you sure?" He asked doubtfully, obviously afraid to hurt anything else.

I had been learning to ignore and block out the sounds of the trees around me whispering, but now a few of the whispers caught my attention, and I caught my breath.

"Stranger...... Coming closer....... Weapon......."

I unsheathed my short sword and got ready to defend myself and the boy, who had shrunk down behind me in fear at my sudden wariness.

I spun around, and my sword fiercely clashed with another.

"Morwen?" The owner of the other sword quickly sheathed his and looked at me in surprise. "What are you doing?"

"Just taking a walk, Legolas," I answered, relieved that it was him.

Legolas frowned at the boy. "Who's this?"

I shrugged. "A boy from Laketown or Dale is my guess."

Legolas's frown deepened. "Well, he needs to scurry back home before my father finds him."

I turned back to the boy. "What's your name?" I asked gently.

"Endor, son of Ensor." He answered anxiously. Then he whirled around and took off running.

"He's a nice young fellow," I commented appraisingly.

Legolas grunted. "Whatever you say. Now what are you doing out here? Why didn't you wake me up?" He demanded.

I rolled my eyes. "You would've killed me if I tried to wake you up so early."

He snorted and turned away from me, scanning the area. "You must have scared away all the game in the forest."

It was more of a remark than an accusation, but I started to protest anyway.

Legolas quickly slapped his hand over my mouth. "Shush," he ordered quietly.

I pushed it away. "There's nothing here," I said in irritation. "The trees would have-"

"My lord Legolas!" A hurried voice said.

I whipped toward the sound. One of the guards were standing there, looking slightly confused and very worried.

Legolas eyed him, straightening up as he assumed his royal position. "Shouldn't you be on the border patrol?" He demanded.

"No, sire, I was sent to find two girls-" his gaze flickered to me and back to Legolas- "and bring them back to the Elven halls to be cared for."

Legolas caught him looking at me, and waved his hand dismissively. "This is not one of them, if that's what you're thinking. Continue your search." He began to walk away, and I scurried to catch up.

"Yes, m'lord," the guard answered attentively.

"You are such a brat sometimes," I hissed as we walked away.

Legolas snorted in laughter. "What are you talking about?"

"First off, I'm a she, not a this." I corrected him. "Second, you could be a little kinder to your guards. They're only doing their duties."

Legolas raised his eyebrows in his usual arrogant way. "My father says we must show them their place, and that they must always learn to show respect."

I inwardly groaned. His father, Thranduil, was the most ignorant and pompous leader I knew of. Sure, he was an outstanding debater and almost always had victory in battle, but he didn't care too much for the families of those in his army.

My father had been one of his favored commanders, though. Maybe that's why Thranduil was attempting to find me and my sister and give us a place to stay. I'd gladly take up on the offer, as soon as I found Marade.

Hopefully it would be soon.