Adventures

"So you can talk to the trees?" Legolas asked, his jaw dropping as we walked by the stream.

"No. I can hear what they're saying to each other," I explained for what seemed the millionth time.

"Wow." He looked at me in admiration.

We walked in silence for a while. The only sound was the cool breeze rustling the leaves on the trees.

Suddenly, we heard a low growl.

We stopped and glanced at each other.

"What was that?" I asked, more curious than scared.

Legolas shrugged, and we kept going.

Before I knew what was happening, I was slammed into the ground, and I felt hot breath on my face. When I looked up, I felt frozen with terror.

Standing over me was a warg. A snarling, yellow-toothed warg. It inched closer and closer, growling at me. It was going to eat me. Mara's crazy stories were coming true.

Just then, the warg swung its massive head around, and growled, bristling. I saw Legolas notching another arrow to his bowstring. "Get out of here!" He shouted.

The warg leaped toward him, and Legolas let his arrow fly.

I scrambled to my feet, and fumbled in my belt pouch for my dagger.

The arrow embedded itself in the warg's fur, but didn't go deep enough to kill it.

The warg let out a screech and pounced on Legolas. I heard Legolas cry out in pain as the warg swiped a claw against his arm.

My fingers found the handle of my dagger.

I quickly took it out and pulled my hand back over my shoulder.

I hurled the dagger with all my strength, and was rewarded with a howl as the warg staggered and collapsed.

I ran to Legolas, and helped him up. I gasped when I saw his arm. There were three long scratches, and they were bleeding pretty badly.

"You're hurt-" I started anxiously, still grasping his hand.

"I'm fine," he croaked. "Get your dagger, we should find the stream."

I hesitated a moment, then let go and walked over to the dead warg.

I grimaced. I hated seeing dead animals, no matter how bad they were. I yanked my dagger out of the warg's neck with a shaky hand and wiped it off on the grass.

"Where IS the stream?" I asked, gazing around.

We stood quietly, until Legolas pointed through the trees. "That way, I can hear the water."

-

As soon as we reached it, Legolas dunked his arm in. He winced as the cold water ran over his wounds.

I splashed some of the water on my face, and dried off with my sleeve.

Legolas got out his cloak and dabbed his arm carefully with it.

"Will you be alright?" I asked in concern.

He nodded. "Yes, I think I'm alright."

"You think. What's that supposed to mean?"

Legolas laughed and stuffed his cloak back in his bag. "It means I'm well enough to beat you to that tree!" He took off running.

"Hey!" I protested after him. I hurriedly grabbed my bag and sprinted after him, laughing.

Maybe this wouldn't be such a hard journey.