Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning to a blaring alarm at five. What kind of crazy person gets up at---oh. I guess every alarm in this house was set to ring at five because of "training". I groaned and rolled out of bed. I heard Germany yelling something at Italy about waking up on time daily.

"Why do I have to live here, of all places... there are plenty of other peaceful homes, right...?"

I hopped in the shower and turned it on. My favorite song got stuck in my head, and I started singing my heart out, having a good time. I had no idea when "school" was going to start, so I might as well. Not like I could have been late.

"You have a beautiful voice..."

I jumped half a foot into the air. Thankfully, the shower wall was opaque, and he wouldn't be able to see me explicitly.

"K-K-K-KIKU?!?"

I heard his soft laughter waft through the shower wall.

"Gomen, I wanted to escape Ludwig and have a few moments of quiet, and I heard your voice... It's alluring. Have you ever considered singing professionally?"

I smiled. Finally, a normal conversation, something I had yet to have with any of these characters. How could Kiku be dangerous? I internally scolded Yao.

"I sang in our top choir back in California..." I frowned. "We were supposed to go on a trip this year, but I guess that won't happen now..."

The mood in the room was depressed--

Suddenly, excruciating pain attacked my forehead and I screamed. I seemed to be remembering something from my past, but it was a memory that I was sure I never had -

Because it involved Yao.

In it, I was sitting in his lap, facing him with our foreheads touching. Silent tears were streaming down his face as I sang to him, and then he kissed me.

It felt so similar to the kiss in the hotel...

The pain became unbearable and I blacked out.

***

"Ai... AI!"

My eyes flew open and I saw Kiku leaning over me, looking very concerned.

"Ah, yokata~ Thank goodness you're awake..."

I looked above me, dazed in my stupor.

"K-Kiku--"

"Shh," he whispered soothingly, picking me up and carrying me to his room.

Wait... why was he taking me to his room...?!

He laid me down on his soft bed and placed his hand on my forehead. "Looks like you don't have a fever or anything... I'll call Ludwig. Better for you to skip school today."

Kiku stood there quietly, staring at me in a conflicted sort of way before leaning down to kiss my forehead. He began to walk away.

On an impulse, I reached out and grabbed his hand.

"W-wait!"

He turned around, a curious look on his face.

"C-can you stay with m-me..."

I swear my heart was going a million miles an hour from the way he looked at me. His eyes were so beautiful...

He smiled. "Of course. Anything for you."

Kiku sat back down on the bed and laid my head in his lap while I slowly drifted off to sleep.

***