Since She Walked In, Where Has Your Mind Been?

Word Count: 1966
Characters: Waverly Earp, Nicole Haught

Nicole stopped at one of the few stop lights they had in town and looked over to her passenger seat where Waverly sat. She watched as the youngest Earp stared out the window, immersed in her own world. The air was filled with tension but not the type Nicole would have hoped for.

Waverly's long lost sister had mysteriously reappeared and caused the youngest sister to feel uneasy. Waverly didn't know what it was, but she didn't feel comfortable enough to sleep under the same roof as Willa tonight. She almost called Champ - out of pure habit - but she remembered that was no longer an option. She had been unsure if calling Nicole was a good idea. They were still getting used to being more than just friends with one another.  She didn't want to cross a line so early in their relationship. Thankfully, Nicole was more than willing to allow Waverly to spend the night.

When the light turned green, Nicole continued driving as she tried to think of something to say to Waverly. But before she knew it, they were parked outside her home, and the silence had yet to be broken. She turned to Waverly who was still lost in a trance.

"Wave," Nicole said softly. She received no response. "Waverly," she tried again. This time, she gently touched the smaller girl's arm.

Waverly jumped at the touch and accidentally rammed her elbow into the door. "Ow!"

"Hey, sorry," Nicole pulled her hand back, "I didn't mean to startle you. We're here."

"What?" Waverly's face was filled with confusion. She looked up, "Oh, okay." She became quiet again and made her way out of the car.

Nicole sighed. She hated seeing Waverly like this. She didn't even know that the bubbly girl she had gotten to know could get in a slump like this. God, it broke her heart to see Waverly like this. She ran to the front of her car and grabbed Waverly's overnight bag out of her hand. She replaced the bag with her hand as she guided them to her home. Relief washed over her when Waverly didn't pull her hand away.

As they walked in, a graying orange cat who was missing half her left ear and had a wobbly gait greeted them.

"Hey there, Buttercup," Nicole greeted. She let go of Waverly's hand and the overnight bag to bend over and rub behind the cat's shorter ear. A soft meow greeted her back. She looked up at Waverly, so she could introduce her cat to her new friend. "This is Waverly. Waves, this is my baby, Buttercup."

Nicole had never seen anyone jump from one emotion to another as fast as Waverly just did. Her face had instantly brightened up.

"But before you get your hopes up, she doesn't warm up to people quickly. In fact, it took several weeks of visiting her at the pound before she warmed up to me." Nicole hadn't even finished speaking before Buttercup walked up to Waverly.  The orange cat rubbed herself against Waverly's legs while purring. Nicole was absolutely baffled.

"Wow, she's absolutely adorable," Waverly said as she bent down to get a closer view of the aging cat. She looked over at Nicole and noticed a confused look on her face. "What?" Her smile dropped a little. "Is something wrong?"

"No, it's nothing. It's just that... She's never been like this with anyone before." Nicole watched fondly as Waverly gently handled Buttercup. "Anyways," Nicole shook her head as she stood up, "you'll sleep in my bedroom tonight which is this way." She grabbed the overnight bag and started towards the bedroom.

"Wait," Waverly said as she stood up. "What about you?"

Nicole stopped walking. "I'll sleep on the couch," Nicole casually shrugged.

"No way," Waverly protested. "Nicole, I am not kicking you out of your bed. I should take the couch." She moved to grab her bag which Nicole moved out of her reach just in time.