35 ➸ safe

ANGELS by THE XX

[There's no true intimacy in this chapter, but it's a little scene in the beginning to help show you that Carl and Sage's relationship isn't all about yelling at each other anymore. They're going through a lot, but their love is still strong. I promise.

Plus, an intimate scene will be coming up along the next few chapters, if that actually excites anyone.

Thank you for all of your sweet words last chapter. It meant more to me than I can really express to you, so take my word for it. It motivated me to write this chapter with everything I have.

GUUUYS.

I HIT 200,000 FUCKING READS.

I have no words. I could write you a long paragraph thanking you right here, but I have plans on thanking you in a different way. Just know you all mean the world to me, and your support amazes me every day.

What do you guys want for the big 200k?
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

110 votes for an update.

This is a filler chapter. Bare with me.

CARL

"Is that everything?"

Sighing out, Sage nodded weakly, zipping up the last of our bags. They were stuffed with dirty clothes, weapons, and food for our travel to an unknown haven, Alexandria. It was quite the ways, and we needed to prepare, as we knew how to survive. The others were packed and ready to go into this place blind.

But, I wasn't.

I watched as Sage threw all of our bags by the hospital door, closing it. It was late in the night; everyone had gone to bed. This was our last night in this haunting hospital, before departing on yet another aimless travel. For it would be the final night Sage Riley would be barricaded by four white walls, keeping her trapped inside a realm of her own haunting past. It would be the last night my love would suffer under the spirits of her darkness.

I kicked my dirty shoes off, plopping down on such a stiff and uncomfortable hospital bed. I brought my arm up behind my head and watched Sage with curiosity in my eye.

It was apparent she was exhausted; mentally, physically, and emotionally. Sage carried dark circles under her grey eyes, with dry lips and a light complexion. But although she looked drained of sanity, her beauty never faltered. The paleness in her skin carried a slight glow to it, burning through the dim room, much like the grey of her eyes. Her eyes reminded me of the clouds collected in the sky when it was just about to storm, and the smell of rain afterward. Her lips, though lacking color and moisture, still looked as soft and tempting to kiss as I always remembered them to be. The scars on her arms were only turning whiter and fading further, reminding me that this girl was healing, just as fast as she was breaking all over again. Watching her closely, I admired her body—even to see her thin body cave in, I knew she was fuller and healthier than she was before I met her.

 Watching her closely, I admired her body—even to see her thin body cave in, I knew she was fuller and healthier than she was before I met her