3

~Mel's Point of View~

"Mel? Come down stairs please!" My step mom shouts. I internally roll my eyes, shout "I'm coming!" and trudge down the stairs I absolutely hate my step parents Especially my step mom Victoria. She is always trying to shower me in love, presents and money. She's fake. As fake as people can get.
How my dad fell for her, I will never know. But what I do know is I don't like her. Not one bit. She's one of those people that if you don't like them she'll try everything to get you to. And so far she's not doing too good of a job.

"Yes?" I say a little annoyed. "I'm going to HeartLand to give Mrs.Kinn some cookies I just baked. Wanna come? I heard they have a daughter named Bailey. She's your age. We can go shopping afterwards. Or whatever you'd like."
"I'd rather pass.." I say and turn around to leave. "Please Mel. I want some mother-daughter bonding time." She pleads. At this point my dad walks in. I turn around so fast.
"Mother? Daughter? Bonding time? No! Victoria I AM NOT YOUR DAUGHTER AND YOU ARE MOST CERTAINLY NOT MY MOM!" I shout and run up the stairs, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I miss my mom. My real mom. Not a fake. She left my father and I. We will never know why. But she did. And I miss her. I just wish Victoria would understand that I don't like her. And I never will.

I lock my bedroom door behind me and burry my face in my pillow. "Mom I miss you." I whisper. "I just want her to love me." I here Victoria telling my dad downstairs. "Well good luck with that." I snear to myself.

Three knocks arrive at my door. "Leave me alone." I say, my voice muffled. "Mel? I'm going to Heartland now. Wanna come?" It's my dad. If he's going and not Victoria the least thing I want is being home alone with her. I unlock my bedroom door and hop in the front seat of my dad's pickup truck.

"I'll bring the cookies in." My dad says. I nod my head and unlock my phone. There is a car parked right next to us with a girl around my age sitting in shot gun. She looks to be about 15 or 16. She sends a slight smile my way and I return it.

My dad comes back in the car and drives us back home. I head straight up to my room. But before I'm even half way up the stairs Victoria stops me. "I'm sorry Mel." She says.
"Please. Call me Melanie. Not Mel." I spit at her. She looks so taken back. "Ok well I'm sorry Melanie." She responds a little more sternly then usual. I slightly nod my head and make my way into my room.