Just close your eyes

She threw me the keys and we went to the garage. We needed to get someone fast without problems, we took the most normal car she had which was a black Porshe cayenne. We put our bags in the back seat and took nothing else with us. Erika didn't talk while I was driving, tears just kept running down her face. We lived in the city so we needed to get out of there quickly. I drove as fast as I could to no where. I had no idea where I was going.
"North or south?"
"What??"
"Do you wanna go north or south?!"
"uhm idk..."
"in the north we have our camp house, we can stay there. Or if you want to go south I know people, we would be safe for a while. So what's it gonna be north or south?"
"South."
I took the freeway going south towards San Clemente. I remember all the times my family would have trips down here. All the memories we made, and how I could never make any more memories with my family. I gripped the steering wheel hard, and stepped on the accelerator as hard as I could, we went 0-100 real quick. I was crying. I cried like I had never cried before.
"What happened to only pussies cry?"
"My fucken family died, what? You expect me not to?"
"No, no it's not that. I'm sorry I was just trying to lighten the mood."
Her awkwardness made me giggle. Next thing you know we were swerving in all lanes, laughing hysterically. We had no reason we just looked at each other and kept laughing. It was the connection we had built through all these years I knew we were feeling the same pain. But somehow we couldn't stop laughing.
It was getting sort of late in the day. We stopped at some dinner in San Diego. I ordered pancakes and she ordered a fruit salad. (Smh, this bitch)  we ate quickly because we had to get back on our way.
I pulled out a map of Mexico she had in the car.
I put it on the table towards her.
"Close your eyes and point your finger on any place, don't worry how far or close. Just let your heart guide you,"
And she did.  She choose a familiar place. A place where my dad was from. No one knew that though. We would be safe there.