Chapter 5

The Bookshop

Chapter 5

Jessie’s POV

It was Math class and the teacher was explaining something about seeing if a line was a function or not. It was almost time for lunch and I wasn’t really focused on learning about lines so I didn’t notice that the teacher was calling me. “Jessie, why is Calum here?” She asks and points to the door. Everybody’s eyes turn to look at me.

“Calum, what are you doing here?” I ask. Everybody’s attention now turns to Calum and he steps inside of the classroom and smiles. He handed a small piece of paper and they had a little conversation before the teacher called my attention once again. “Grab your things. You’re excused.” She says and I nod my head.

I grab all my notebooks and shove them in my bag before leaving the classroom with Calum. “Did I do something wrong?” I ask him once we were outside. He looked around before saying, “Nope.”

“So why was I excused?” I ask.

“We are ditching school. I grabbed some excuse slips from the principal’s office. And I thought this was a good time to use it. But this is just a one-time thing so don’t worry, Jessie.” He says and we start walking down the hall to the back entrance of the school.

“And where are we going?”

“I’m taking you out. I don’t really have time to take you out because I’m gonna be really busy for the next few weeks.”

“You are one crazy boy, Calum Hood.”

“I know.” He smiles.

---

We were now at a restaurant in the mall. Specifically, we were in Maccas. Not what I was expecting; but hey, at least I got away from the Physics quiz that I was supposed to have but didn’t study for.

“So, how are your songs coming up?” I ask Calum.

He shrugs and grabs a notebook and pen from his bag. “I would say that everything’s fine. But the problem is, I’m still stuck writing this damn song!” He says.

“Well, maybe I could help? I’ve never written a song before but, I’ll try. What’s the song called?”

“Too Late.” He opens the notebook to a page that was filled with crossed out lines and random drawings on the side. “You can check out the lyrics if you want. If you have any ideas just tell me.”

I get the notebook from him and look at the lyrics written down. All it needed was a second verse and a bridge. The song was all about, well, being too late about telling a person that you like them that they end up with another person because you were too scared to say something. Well, that’s the way I saw it.

I stared at the paper for a few minutes before I thought of something. “Every time I see you with him, I’m tearing down the words in my head.” I look at Calum who just stares at me like I grew some alien hybrid on my head. “Well, do you need help or not?” I ask him.

“Right.” Calum says and grabs his pen and notebook. He writes the line down and looks at me. “Got any more?” Calum asks and I nod my head with a smile.

Two hours later, and we were now at Calum’s house figuring out how the melodies of the song; trying things out on the piano, guitar and bass. The door of the basement opened and revealed 3 familiar boys. “Oh. Hi Jessie. What are you doing here?” Michael asks.

“She helped me write a song. All we need is help with the melodies. And I know that you can help us.” Calum says. The boys nod their heads and get some instruments they could use to help make the song.

A/N: Short chapter and a late update. I apologize. Ok. Bye. :)