Part 33

October 1999

After 20 minutes of wracking my brain, Karen called me back.  Instead of sending Stevie home, I told Karen to bring her here.  I wanted her to know exactly what was going on and I wanted both us of to get the facts directly from Irv....and to be together when we heard it.  Stevie arrived 10 minutes after Irv.  She looked scared, more worried for Ella than anything else.  Underneath however, she dreaming up ways to torture the people responsible for the leak, and then she would ensure whatever media outlet broke the story, would never work again.  

"What happened?  Who did this?  We've been so careful, I don't understand."  Her eyes darting between Irv and I.  

At that moment, Irv took control.  "Both of you try to calm down.  We are trying to stop the story from airing, but there are no guarantees."  Irv in crisis mode is always calming, but this is very different than some of the drama Stevie and I have put him through over the years.  

"Irving, you can tell whatever reporter or magazine is sitting on this story, if they break it, I will never ever utter another word to them.  And neither will Lindsey, and for that matter, any member of Fleetwood Mac.  You know I will do it."

"Stevie, I hear you and I agree.  Sit down."

"Irv, what the hell happened?  You haven't answered us yet"  I say rather pointedly.  I noticed he seemed hesitant to tell us.  He turned to look out the window and ran his hand over his bald head.  When he turned around Stevie shouted, "Just tell us"

"Alright, but understand, we are still piecing this together.  I've spoken to the editor of the magazine in question.  It checks out."  He looked between the two of us waiting for us to acknowledge him before moving on.  "Evidently, Kristen meets friends for lunch every Wednesday at The Vine.   About a month ago, a reporter from the magazine happened to be sitting at a nearby table.   Initially, he had no idea who she was.  But, she appeared to be very agitated with her fiance, whose name happened to be Lindsey.  Turns out, he postponed their wedding due to some personal circumstances.  Apparently, after some fact checking and detective work, he figured out the Lindsey in question was you."  Irv directs towards me. " I think he was hoping the personal circumstances were some good old fashioned Buckingham Nicks drama.  Beyond postponing the wedding, he didn't get much out of the first lunch, but he did learn they met every Wednesday, so he made it a point to join them.  Albeit without them knowing.  Eventually Kristen started mentioning Ella.  Listen everyone knows what happened to you guys 6 years ago.  Doesn't require a CIA agent to put 2 and 2 together.  Sounds like he knows just about everything, Ella, how angry she is that she hasn't met her yet, all the time you two are spending together, the wedding, all of it." 

I am livid, I am heartbroken and I am angry.  Ella is the one that gets hurt here.  She has no idea we are famous.  Her life is changing enough as it is.  I look over at Stevie and she is pissed.  I've seen that look in her eyes many times.  Usually, directed at me.  I know she's upset, but right now, it's it's being masked by blind anger.  

"What exactly does your girlfriend think we've been doing Lindsey?"   She's actually in mama bear mode right now.   "Irv at this point, it's just speculation right.  There is no hard and fast proof other than the hysterical ramblings of an incredibly immature young woman."  For good measure, she looks at me as she delivers that last line.  "Can't we just make a statement now, denying everything.  Obviously, once we have Ella and she's settled, Lindsey and I will make a statement. "  Mama bear is making some valid points. 

"Unfortunately, he's got proof."  He followed Kristen back here.  Got some pictures of the two of you together.  Without going into too much detail, let's just say he knows you pick up Stevie and drive to the visitations together.  Apparently, he's got pictures of the two of you too."