EIGHT

"No

"No." She stammers with a shaky voice. "You don't get to say you're sorry after what you did. You tore up my soul, you left pieces of yourself in every open space. You can't just say sorry for destroying a person. You know I tried for you. I tried to be enough." 

"I wish things were different. I wish I could take back what I did to you, I never wanted to hurt you." He speaks, almost a whisper. 

She steps away from him. "Well you showed me. Never let anyone close enough to ruin you." 
- it hurt, but she left
(Poem by r.h.sin on instagram)

//

TWO DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS

"HEY, MOM. I got a question." Gracie spoke while swinging back and forth on the swings and taking a lick of her strawberry ice cream. 

That child is weird. I don't know who eats ice cream in the winter outside. I turned towards her. "Yeah, G?" 

"Are you and daddy actually together?"

I sucked in air and had a solemn expression on my face. We were watching Soda teach Ashton how to work on a car and I turned back towards Gracie who was waiting for an answer.

"Sweetie," I took her hands in mine and flashed her a small smile. "Your dad and I are just best friends. We're staying together for Christmas because we know it means a lot to you and Ash." 

Her expression darkened. "I understand why you don't want to get back with daddy." 

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you talking about, Gracie?"

"You don't want to get back with daddy because you're afraid of getting hurt again. And you're afraid of losing him."

[here's a GIF of Gracie]

I glanced over at Soda and swallowed the lump in my throat

I glanced over at Soda and swallowed the lump in my throat. I chuckled as tears blurred my vision and ruffled her hair. "Don't get wise, kiddo. Not yet."