TWELVE

Please watch the audio! It will kill you, but PLEASE

"BLUE, YOU'VE BEEN in bed for days. Please, please, get up." Soda begged, while brushing his finger softly across my face.  

"I-I can't get up." My bottom lip quivered. 

Soda frowned and pulled me into chest. "C'mon, maybe hanging out with the gang today will make you feel better."

I took a shaky breath and sat up. "Alright, but if I want to leave, we're leaving."

Soda looked excited, like he won a million dollars. He gave me kiss on the cheek. "See you downstairs."

I glanced at myself in the mirror and cringed. I looked absolutely dreadful. My eyes and cheeks were swollen and red from all of the crying, my hair was so tangled, and I haven't brushed my teeth or taken a shower in God knows how long. I don't think I'm ever going to get over this. I lost all of my blood family. 

I'm the only Winston left. 

After I hopped in the shower and dried my hair, I got dressed into a long sleeved beige sweater with blue jeans and boots. It took like an hour to brush through my hair, but I finally did it and left it down in it's natural wavy state. I put on more make-up than usual so I could cover up the bags under my eyes and brushed my teeth three times. I felt much better. 

I was about to walk out of the bedroom when I saw a picture of Dally and me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and thought back to when I had to break the news to the kids. Gracie took it the hardest. Ashton was never really close with Dally, but Dally was like a superhero to Gracie. It broke my heart because she was so devastated. 

//

"Gracie, baby, I don't have good news." Tears were falling down my face and Gracie knitted her eyebrows in confusion.

"Mommy, why are you crying?"

I sat her in my lap and took a deep breath. "Sometimes people leave you."

"Your uncle Dal went to heaven with granny and poppy today

"Your uncle Dal went to heaven with granny and poppy today." 

Her facial expression looked as if someone took away her favorite toy. "No, Mommy, stop joking with me! Where's, Dally? Is he playing a game of hide and seek with me?"

I started crying even more and Gracie started crying. "Mommy! He can't be gone!" She sobbed into my chest as I ran my fingers through her hair, pulling her close to me. 

"I'm so sorry, Gracie."

//

I WIPED AWAY my tears and exited the bedroom. Soda embraced me in a bear hug, and I inhaled the scent of his cologne. I don't know why, but it seemed to calm me down. "The kids are at school, so we need to be back by three." I reminded him and he nodded. 

"We'll get them, I promise."

We walked into the Dingo and Jay's and Ashley ran up to give me a hug. "Oh, baby Skye, I'm so sorry. Food's on the house." 

I gave her a smile and pulled her into a hug. "Thank you so much, Ashley. I don't know what I would do without you."

We pulled away and she shook her head, "Grieving is not grieving until you've ate everything possible."

I chuckled and sat down at the booths with the gang. Soda, Steve, Sarah, and I had our usual booth. Sarah wasn't talking to me and I rolled my eyes. Was she really still pissed off about the thing that happened in the bar?

"How you doin', Skye?" Steve questioned while throwing a french fry in his mouth. 

I took a sip of my milkshake and kept my gaze on the table. "I obviously could be better, Steve."

Soda and Steve could feel the tension between Sarah and I. "Sarah, what the hell is wrong with you? My brother dies and what I need is a friend to be there to comfort me! Remember when you and Steve got in a huge fight? I went in the pouring rain just to knock some sense into him, and my brother dies and you can't even look at me?!" I started raising my voice, causing the rest of the gang to turn their heads towards us. 

"Uh oh." Two-Bit chuckled. 

 "Skylar, I do want to comfort you, but how do you expect me to when you can't even have compassion for anyone else? You're not the only one going through this, you know? Dally was like a brother to all of us."

I scoffed, "Yeah, okay. I'm sorry guys for laying in my bed for five days crying because I lost the only family member I had left. I guess I don't have any 'compassion' for you guys, yet I'm always there for y'all." 

"Look, Skylar, you shouldn't have been that rude to Kelly either. Slamming the door in her face while her boyfriend is in the ambulance? She loves Dally also, Skylar." She snapped.

"Oh, so that's what it is? You're friends with Kelly now? Wow, no wonder why you're being such a bit-"

I got cut off by Ponyboy cutting in. "She is right, Skylar. That was a little mean."

The rest of the guys nodded in agreement and I stood out of the booth. "You know what? I don't even know why I talk to you all anymore. Dally was right. I should've never came back after college."

All of the guys had their jaws dropped and had a look of hurt on their faces

"When being right is more important than being friends, then that's the end of being friends!" I shouted and stormed out of the Dingo and Jay's. 

(SKIP TO 48 SECONDS OH MY GOSH AND SHE SAYS THE EXACT SAME THING IT GAVE ME CHILLS BECAUSE I'M UPSET RN DJFOSN)

I heard Soda run after me. "Blue, did you mean all that?"

I stopped and turned around to face him. "Soda, all of y'all have changed so much ever since I've gotten back from college and I'm done! When we were all teenagers, we HAD each others backs and we knew it. Now, we're adults, and we're stabbing each other in the back! You'd think it would be the other way around!" 

Soda paused and a sad expression washed over his face. "You can't leave the gang. They need you, Skylar. They needed you as teenagers and they need you as adults."

"I'll guess we'll put that to the test won't we?" I snapped and got in the car.