Put onto action

Chapter 7

"Brooke. Pst! Brooke..." Somebody whispers.
They shake me awake and when I open my eyes, I see Daniel standing over my bed his black hair fluffed up and hanging in his face. His glasses sit crooked on his nose.
"It's four in the morning already." He whispers. "We need to get ready to go. Get changed quickly and I'll go get my clothes from my house. Alright?"
"Okay." I answer, still mostly asleep.
Most of my covers have been kicked off the bed and my hair is a mess. Maybe it will take longer to get ready than I anticipated.
Dan super speeds out the door, racing towards his house on the other side of the city.
I roll hesitantly out of my nice warm bed and open my closet. What the hell am I going to wear?
I end up selecting a red dress with a puffy bottom and black detailing, along with a pair of high heeled, lace up black boots. I whip my hair up into a messy bun and carefully do my makeup with flawless winged eyeliner and fiery red lips to match my dress.
I know what you're thinking, a little extravagant for a rescue mission isn't it? Well dressing this way gives me confidence, it makes me feel unstoppable. That's just what I need right now. Also, of you're going to break somebody out of heaven, why not do it in style? Am I right?
Just as I finish up, I hear a knock at my door.
"Come in!" I say quietly, and Daniel walks in, already changed into a new outfit.
Today he is wearing a black and green shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a pair of ripped jeans. He almost looks presentable for once. But something about him seems different, I just can't put my finger on it.
"Wow!" He exclaims. "You look great today Brooke."
"Oh thanks. Just something I threw on." I reply.
I know, I should be flattered, but really, I'm not. I'm used to these kinds of comments from Dan. He's just being friendly, right? That's all we have ever been is friends, and I certainly do not feel all romantical about him. That's just how I am. I've never been in a real relationship in all 1573-or-so years of my life.
"Let's get going. We need to get this done quickly so dad doesn't find out. We're already running late." I inform him, glancing at my clock across the room.
We both slip out the door, dashing through the many hallways of the palace, hoping to reach the portal room soon.
"I'm just going to stop in the weapons room to grab something, I'll meet you in there okay? You get set up." I tell Dan as we near the end of the hallway.
He nods in agreement and slips through the dark door at the end of the hallway. I veer off into the room on my left, the weapons room.
This where we keep every tool anyone could possibly need. Everything from daggers, to katanas, to chainsaws, we've got it.
I slip into my section of the room, the walls lined with an assortment of blades and guns. I select a nice, high power hand gun for myself, and grab Hannah's favourite throwing knives to deliver to her when she arrives.
Then I too enter the mysterious room at the end of the hallway. Slipping into the darkness.