Twins of Sort

Ainsley barely had time to process what she was seeing before she was tackled. She squirmed under the weight of the human before she was able to scramble to her feet, keeping explosions in the back of her mind.  

The person on top of her was looked to be her age and the same height. The girl had shoulder-length honey blond hair that had no hair out of place even though she just tackled Ainsley. The girl eyed Ainsley for about three seconds before launching into rapid fire introduction.

"Hi I'm Tanya. It's nice to meet you, I hope you're not an enemy so we can be friends. This is Camp Half- Blood, my mom is Aphrodite. Would you like a shower? You're covered in Dorito dust and mud. I like hippos. When's your birthday? Mine's March 28."

"Oh my goodness that's my birthday too," replied Ainsley, forgetting that this pretty girl might be a enemy.

"We should be friends then," Tanya said.

"I'm cool with that, but could you explain everything again, but slower," Ainsley said, confused.

"This," said Tanya, gesturing to the whole valley, is Camp-Half Blood."

Ainsley looked at the valley. She saw outdoor pavilions, volleyball courts, a climbing wall, and some sort of dusty racetrack. She also saw twelve cabins arranged in a U shape as well as many more beyond them. She sniffed the air. Looking to her left, she saw a large house and beyond that, fields and fields of luscious red strawberries baking in the sun.

"I'll assume your a Half-Blood seeing as you made it through the barrier, " Tanya said coolly.

"A what?" Asked Ainsley, wondering if this Tanya was trying to be racist.

"A Half-Blood, silly. Demigod if you would like to be fancy. We are children of the gods. My mom is Aphrodite."

Ainsley believed this girl unquestionably. It explained everything that had been happening to her since she was a little girl. She was glad to have someone give her an answer instead of the far fetched theories she had come up with. Up until she was eleven, Ainsley had waited for her Hogwarts acceptance letter. Surely, the Headmaster must know of all these strange occurrences. Ainsley had actually tried some spells from the books using a wand she had found in her closet one day. She had successfully made a stuffed animal levitate. Ainsley was also scared of her own abilities. She had made several rides malfunction at Galaxyland. After that, Ainsley hardly ever used her powers. Only in emergencies would she reveal them. 

"I forgot to ask you your name," burst out Tanya after several seconds of silence.

"It's Ainsley and I believe you," replied Ainsley.

"About being a demigod? Well that's a relief. The last kid is still in denial. Would you like a tour?"

Tanya lead Ainsley through Camp Half-Blood, quickly explaining everything. A few kids came and talked to Tanya.

"That's Will, son of Demeter."

"Vinny, son of Ares."

"Steph, daughter of Athena."

"Hey, Nate," Tanya called over to a boy who appeared to be talking to the fish in the fountain. "New camper."

The boy walked up to them. He was the same height as Ainsley with messy dark hair and tan skin. Ainsley felt her cheeks redden. No, no, no, she told herself. Not now. But its my job to make you look silly in front of attractive boys, her brain seemed to reply.

"Hi, " said Nate. 

"Hi," said Tanya.

"I...Er...Um...Uh...Hi. Yeah, hi," said Ainsley, flustered.

She smoothed her brown curls and turned to face the boy. She sent a silent prayer to her godly mother. Oh, please don't let us be related because then I wouldn't be allowed to date him which wouldn't be good for my sanity.

"This is Nate, son of Poseidon," Tanya said.

"Well that's fantastic!" Ainsley exclaimed. She was sure it was her mom that was the goddess in the family.

Both demigods looked at her.

"Because... Because... Because I like dolphins," Ainsley replied with a forced grin. She would appear smarter next time.

"Anyways," Tanya broke the silence, dragging Ainsley away from Nate." We should continue on our tour."  

"These are the cabins," said Tanya. She gestured over to a pink frilly cabin. "That's Aphrodite. My cabin." She gestured again to a regular looking cabin, "That's Hermes, you'll be staying there until your godly parent claims you."

Ainsley climbed the rickety stairs and opened the door. About twenty five pairs of eyes stared at her. She looked at these people, children of Hermes she presumed. Most of them had the same mischievous eyes and elfish ears, but some didn't fit the bill. Several of them opened their mouths.

"Before you ask, she is unclaimed," said Tanya, silencing them before they could even begin.

A groan filled the room. 

"I'll leave you to get unpacked and cleaned up for dinner," Tanya said to Ainsley as she left, shutting the door behind her.

The rest of the Hermes cabin continued what they were doing before they were interrupted. Ainsley went and sat down next to two girl her age. One with brown hair, the other with curly blond.

"Don't worry," said the blond one. "I'm Claire and that's Ashley, we're unclaimed as well."

Ainsley grabbed a bedroll and layed it down beside Claire.

"I'm going to hit the showers, " she said.