Definitely Not the Girl Guides!

• Dedicated to Colleen (who helped me come up with our "special guests") and Krispy Kreme

When Ainsley felt her phone buzz in her pocket, she was just about ready to kill someone. Could they not let her have a few more moments of peace in her new happy place before she had to go back to a world where the fate of many people rested on her shoulders?

Feeling Eli's arms squirm uncomfortably around her, she very reluctantly released her grip on him. When she was able to, she reached into her back pocket and grabbed her phone without looking at Eli. Typing in the passcode, she checked her messages.

Do you know where Eli is? He isn't with us at Safeway and we already checked the laptop section at the Future Shop next door, Claire had texted.

Don't worry, he's here with me, Ainsley hastily replied.

Why? Claire's response was almost instantaneous.

Ainsley had to think for a second before replying, she didn't really want anyone else to know what had just happened.

I asked him to stay behind and help make up the beds, she lied.

When she didn't get a response for five seconds, she put her phone back into her pocket then got up.

"You might as well help me make up the beds, I told Claire that's why you were here," said Ainsley to Eli, who had already stood up. 

As they unfolded the couch, Ainsley hoped that she wasn't blushing too much. Even if she wasn't, her awkward movements probably gave it all away.

Eli, however, was making the bed as if nothing had happened. After what seemed like an eternity of awkward silence, Ainsley was grateful for the sound of footsteps coming from outside the apartment door.

"I'll get it!" She said with an especially awkward voice crack as she sprung towards the door.

It was probably the second most awkward moment that Ainsley had ever experienced. As Claire, Skylar, and Tanya filed into the room holding bags of groceries, they each gave her identical knowing looks. Ainsley rolled her eyes at each of them and blushed some more. Why did she have to experience the two most awkward moments of her life in the span of about two minutes? Her face was probably permanently red.

"Dinner is served!" Exclaimed Skylar as she dropped her bag on the table. 

Claire and Tanya dropped their groceries on the table as well and everyone began to unpack the bags, looking for something to eat.

It was probably the strangest supper Ainsley had ever seen. Reaching into Skylar's bag, she found that it was filled with candy. Ainsley gave her a questioning look to which Skylar replied to by pointing to her lunchkit.

"I already have an unlimited supply of bananas, juice boxes, and cheese buns," she said. "I figured we needed some candy."

"I think this might be too much," laughed Ainsley as she took out five one-hundred packs of Pixie Sticks out of the bag.

"I don't think so," said Skylar, snatching a pack from Ainsley. Breaking the top of about ten of them, she poured them all in her mouth.

As they all collapsed into hysterics on the cold tile floor, they began to reach into the bags and eat an unbalanced, slightly nutritious meal. Fifteen minutes later, after Ainsley had eaten her supper of pasta salad, jelly beans, and chocolate Mini-Wheats without milk, she stood up.

"Well," she yawned, "It's been a long day; I think we should probably get some sleep."

They all nodded, except for Skylar, who was singing a strange rap song as a result of her large intake of sugar.