The Roommate

Victoria's POV*

The last of the week seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was on a plane to my first camp with the USWNT U20 team. I tried to settle into my seat for the flight, but I couldn't help but fidget. I was equally nervous and excited. Being on the pitch was the only time I finally felt normal, I wasn't just "the mute girl".

As soon as we were in the air, I pulled out my faded copy of Harry Potter, but I was fidgeting so much, and it was so hard to focus on anything with my thoughts going a mile a minute. After reading the same sentence for the hundredth time, I sighed and closed my book.

All I could think about was what could go wrong. What if the coaches and other players thought I wasn't worth the trouble. What if everyone was right and I wasn't good enough. I took a deep breath and pulled out my phone, once again looking at the texts from Allie and Steph that I had gotten really early this morning. The really goofy pictures that they had sent me early this morning as they boaded their flight to join me at camp. I guess that was the one thing keeping me sane, that at least I'd have them with me.

After finally managing to calm myself down the plane was already descending. I grabbed my faded duffelbag and slowly followed the masses off of the plane. I walked to the baggage claim and grabbed my small suitcase, marked with a luggage tag with soccer balls and Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings quotes on it.

I warily walked into the arrivals area, and I tried to fight through the crowd and the incredible noise to find whoever I was supposed to meet up with for the USWNT. I was about to give up when I heard a familiar voice shout "THERE SHE IS!!" Before I could even fully turn around I was attacked my 2 sets of arms. I whipped around to see Steph and Allie grinning at me. I grinned for the first time in what felt like forever, and I dropped my bag in my haste to hug them back.

"Aww someone missed us!" Allie teased me as she picked up my bag.

"I mean can you blame her?!" Steph asked, striking a ridiculous pose. I shook my head and grinned at her antics as I playfully pushed her.

"So are you ready to finally be on the USWNT?!?!" Allie asked with a big, proud grin, nudging me in the ribs.

I pouted and pointedly rubbed my ribs, making them both laugh as they lead me toward the front of the arrivals hall. My hands started to shake slightly as I saw a group of about 20 girls gathered around a few adults holding the USWNT logo with-20 written underneath it. Allie and Steph didn't say anything, but I know they noticed because they both threw their arms around my shoulders to where are group was waiting, everyone else's bags seemingly loaded.

A woman is a Team United States jacket looked toward us, a grin stretching

across her face as she saw Allie and Steph with me in tow.

"Awesome girls! You found her! It's really nice to officially meet you Victoria, we're excited to have you on this team! I'm Michelle French, I'll be your head coach." She grinned, putting her hand out for me to shake.

I shook her hand, still in awe that I was even here. Since I was the last one here, one of the assistant coaches grabbed my bags from Allie as Michelle herded the rest of us on the team bus, telling us that we'd do our introductions back at the hotel. I was grateful for that, wondering how well this meeting would go for me.

Steph and Allie must have picked up on my nerves because Allie rubbed my back soothingly as we walked to the back of the bus, claiming the bigger seat so that we could all sit together.

"Hey kid." Steph said, making me glare at her and smack her arm.

"You're not THAT much older than me." I signed mock-angrily, making both Steph and Allie laugh.