The Art of Hope (21)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Chapter 21

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Christmas Eve had arrived. I felt the warmth that Christmas always brings, the smell, the hope, the peacefulness, but most of all the love.

I decided I would take a late evening walk, even if it was late afternoon and almost dark. The cold fought to chill my skin under my warm jacket, but felt it only on the soft cheeks of my face. I took in a deep breath; it cleared my mind to feel the cold air in my lungs. I walked along the thick brush and woods. Being here in the woods of my soon to be country - Tesoro di Gioiello - made it feel like I was so far from home. It also made my 'job' feel real. I, Missy - small town girl with a rotten past - was going to run a Kingdom. Granted that Kingdom was the size of Rhode Island (USA), but it still scared the shit out of me.

I had to admit I was scared to death. I needed someone to tell me I could do this, to tell me I would be the best they have ever seen. Although I knew it would be a lie I needed to hear it. I sighed. I had to be strong. I could do this. Right? Then I thought of the things I would soon have to do. I would have to "come out" with a ball and everything. I would have to speak in front of all the people in this country. Every persons well being would be in MY hands.

I did not understand why I was so worried. I mean Tesoro di Gioiello is just a little island in the middle of that Atlantic Ocean. Right? Nothing important happens. It's just a land of farmers and Kings and a prince and me. This is nothing I told myself. Then I started to realize I put off this "conversation" with myself for too long. I should have thought about this BEFORE I moved here and turned my life around.

Shaking my head I turned to go back to my new home.

Christmas Eve here was nothing like back home. Back home Annie and I would sit around and drink hot chocolate. Listen to some old Elvis Christmas records. Here there was a grand party. Every important person to the kingdom was here. But I was locked up in my room. I could have went if people knew that I existed. That was okay by me though. I was curled up in my new room in the family wing. The dusty cream walls gave the room a unique homey feeling. The basic color was brown with other colors to brighten it up. I must say I loved it. I could spend hours in here, but I was sick of being alone on freaking Christmas Eve.

A tap came on the door. I jumped up and ran to it, hoping it was Jace. We had gotten back a week ago and I had only seen him in passing once. He and his father had the week off to go home and do family stuff. They had arrived back this morning; I had yet to see him.

I swung open the door to reveal a tired Emily. "Hi, Emily. What's up?" I asked in a not so happy voice.

"Well, you're in a bad mood. Maybe I will just go..." She let it trail off. I felt guilty.

"Sorry, You just not the person I was hoping to see. I know it sounds bad but it is true. I won't lie."

She looked up at me curiosity in her eyes. "Eric?" She asked.

"Um, NO. He just wishes." You see when Jace said don't tell anyone. I told no one.

"Anyways," She went on "Can I get you advice on something?" She blushed.

"Anything. Come on in." I was glad I had a friend other than Jace. And I was also glad that I could talk to someone. I was going a little nuts.

We sat on my bed facing one another. "Well..." She blushed again. "There is this guy."

"Really? May I asked who?" I was excited to know some gossip. Life was getting so bland.

"Well, I really don't want anyone to know until I know that it will work out." She turned her head. "That is what I wanted to talk to you about. I don't know anything about boys."