chapter two; sheriff's coming to town

Maya was on her way to the grocery store when she heard Charlie talking to someone. She quickly his behind a tree and listened. "So I heard Sheriff Friar of Abington is coming down here tomorrow." Charlie's deputy, Billy said. "Yeah..he's helping us with the case of Red Hot Hart." "Really?" Billy's eyes widened. "Yeah..why?" "It's just, I never thought you'd let him come back here after..after what happened." Charlie looked down at the ground. "I know." Maya raised an eyebrow. What were they talking about? Who was this Friar guy coming down into..HER town. Charlie looked up. "We have to forgive and forget. Move on. That's in the past now." Billy nodded his head. Charlie smiled. "I'm glad you agree." Billy half-smiled at him. "Listen, I'll meet up with you later, I've got to go back to the station, they need me." Charlie said. "Alright. I'll see you." Billy said as he hopped back onto his horse and galloped off. Charlie sighed and got on his horse. He looked around for a minute. He stared at the tree Maya was hiding behind for a moment, then he shook his head and rode off. Maya sighed and wiped her forehead. That was a close one. Maya looked around for a second then started walking towards the store again. Lucas Friar is coming to town..This should be interesting.
*10 minutes later*
Maya finally arrived at the store. As she was going down one of the isles, she ran into someone. She looked up and smirked. "Oh I'm so sorry, I'll watch where I'm going next time." Riley Matthews said. "Oh no it's fine." Maya said in the fakest voice she could pull off. Riley smiled. "What's your name? I've never seen you around here before." "Oh my name? It's um..Layla." Riley held her hand out. "Well it's nice to meet you, Layla." Riley said as the two shook hands. "It's nice to meet you to.." Riley smiled at her again. "I'll see you around I guess." Maya nodded. "See ya." As Riley left, Maya sighed in relief. What was she doing in Berkton? Maybe it's because Sheriff Friar is coming down here.. Maya shook the thought and turned down another isle.

"Bye ma." Lucas said to his mother as he got on his horse. "Oh Lucas. I'll miss you so much. Please come visit soon." Lucas smiled. "Don't worry, ma. I will." Lucas's mother smiled and waved him off. Lucas was on his way to Berkton, until he had to stop and let his horse rest. Lucas patted his horse. "Don't worry buddy, we're almost there. Just a few more minutes." A few minutes later, Lucas jumped back on his horse and they continued going down the road to Berkton. About an hour later, they had finally arrived to the town of Berkton. Lucas stopped in front of the sheriff's office and jumped off his horse. Lucas sighed and went inside. "Well, Well, Well, if it isn't Mr. Lucas Friar." Lucas smiled. "Hello Sheriff Gardner." Charlie smirked. "Nice to see you again. I hope you ready to get started on the case of Red Hot Hart." Lucas laughed. "Oh i've been ready."

Maya finally returned home not much longer after that, she quickly went up in her attic and set the food down. She looked over what all she got. Some carrots, potatoes, peas..she took a bite of the carrot and sighed. "Sheriff Friar is not gonna get me..not over my dead body." Maya said aloud as she continued munching on her carrot. "I'm gonna make that prettyboy fall in love with me, so hard it's gonna hurt." Maya smiled evilly.